340 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana
his mother a native of Tennessee, born November 1, 1796. His father was taken to Fairfield County, Ohio, by his parents when a boy, where he spent his youth in clearing a farm. He learned the tailor's trade in that county. In 1820 he went to Terre Haute, Indiana, where he worked at his trade some time. After coming to Eugene Township he made farming his principal avocation in which he was eminently successful, accumulating much property. He made his home in Eugene Township until his death, July 29, 1863. His widow died March 23, 1886, in her eighty-ninth year. They were the parents of six children, three still living -- Mrs. Martha J. Nailor, James B., the subject of this sketch, and Jacob. James B. Iles was reared on the old homestead, receiving such education as the rude log cabin schools of thos early days afforded. He was married March 14, 1857, to Miss Elizabeth Teverbaugh, a daughter of John Teverbaugh, and they are the parents of six children -- Nora, William, Mary, Effie, Hannah and Martha. Nora is the wife of Henry Peters, of Brimfield, Illinois, who has been prominently identified with the interests of Eugene, and for four years was treasurer of Vermillion County. Mr. and Mrs. Peters had one daughter, Josie who died at the age of eight years. Mr. Iles owns over 1,200 acres of land, and is classed among the substantial citizens of the county, where he is esteemed by all who know him. He was a member of the Masonic lodge at Eugene until it disbanded.

JOHN HENDERSON, farmer and stockraiser, resides on section 7, Vermillion Township, where, he owns 250 acres of choice land under a high state of cultivation. He was born in Vermillion County, Indiana, near his present homestead, August 20, 1831, a son of William and Anna (Haworth) Henderson. His father was a native of Ohio, of English descent, and the mother of Tennessee, of English and Irish descent. In 1822 his parents came to this county and settled in Vermillion Township, where his father died March 14, 1857, aged forty-nine years. His mother is still living, making her home with her son William. Of their six children but two are living -- John and William F. John Henderson was married in Parke County, Indiana, in 1870, to Dinah Towell, a native of Parke County, born January 7, 1837, daughter of George and Mary (Lindley) Towell. Mr. Henderson has served two terms as county surveyor. His educational advantages were somewhat limited, being confined to the common schools, with the exception of six months spent at Bloomingdale Academy. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are birthright members of the society of Friends. He is a firm adherent to the principles of prohibition, and always gives his support to any enterprise that tends to the elevation of society or the material benefit of the township or county. He is an active worker in the church, taking an especial interest in the Sunday-school and its interests.

DANIEL W. FINNEY, dealer in hardware, farm implements and building material, successor to Lowrey & Fisher, Dana, Indiana, is a native of the Hoosier State, born in Parke County, October 8, 1837, a son of Robert Finney, who was born in North Carolina, of Irish descent, and came to Indiana with his parents when a boy, and was here married to Malinda Hunt, who was of Scotch descent. The grandfather of our subject, Joseph Finney, was a soldier in the

Biographical Sketches - 341
war of 1812. Daniel W. Finney was reared on a farm in his native county. He was given good educational advantages, and for a time attended Bloomingdale Academy. He came to Vermillion County in March, 1862, and located on a farm one mile northeast of Dana. In 1870 he began dealing in grain in Dana, which he continued until 1887, when he bought the stock of Lowrey & Fisher. He carries a capital stock of about $5,000, and has a large trade which is constantly increasing. He is one of the prominent business men of Dana, where he has lived for a quarter of a century, and has a large circle of friends among the business men of the county. He was married December 15, 1859, to Gilla Huffman, daughter of Lawson Huffman, of Parke County, Indiana. To them have been born seven children, five of whom are living -- Cora E., Alice M., Annis, William P. and Maude. One son, Edgar F., died at the age of four years. Mr. Finney is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Although he takes an active interest in the affairs of his town and county, he never seeks official honors, the cares of his business demanding his attention to such an extent that he has no time to devote to the duties devolving on a public officer.

JOHN Q. WASHBURN, general merchant, Clinton, Indiana, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, October 13, 1833, a son of James A. and Mary A. (Kane) Washburn. His parents moved to Vermillion County, and located in Newport in 1850 His father was a man of prominence in public affairs and was appointed postmaster at Newport under the administration of President Fillmore, and was holding that office at the time of his death. His widow survived him several years. Hon. Henry D. Washburn, an older brother of John Q., was one of Indiana's prominent statesman. He was one of the bravest of the volunteer officers from Indiana during the war of the Rebellion, raising Company C, Eighteenth Indiana Infantry, and was afterward made Lieutenant-Colonel of the regiment. He was subsequently promoted to Brigadier-General and brevet Major General. In 1815 he made the run for Congress in this district against Dan Voorhees, the sitting member, and defeated him, and in 1867 was re-elected, running against Hon. Solomon Claypool. In 1869 he was appointed Survey-General of Montana Territory, and was holding that office at the time of his death, in January, 1871, at the early age of thirty-nine years. John Q. Washburn came to Vermillion County, in 1852, two years after his parents and joined them at Newport, where he lived until after the breaking out of the Rebellion, engaged in the mercantile business. In September, 1861, he responded to the call of duty and enlisted in defense of his country, serving faithfully fifteen months when he was discharged on account of sickness. Regaining his health he again, in the spring of 1864, went to the front as Captain of Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Indiana Infantry, joining the grand army of General Sherman at Resaca as a part of General Schofield's corps, the gallant Twenty-third, and participated in the hard-fought Atlanta campaign and later in the historic battles at Franklin and Nashville, where Hood's army was practically destroyed. Later still as a part of the Twenty-third Corps, the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth joined Sherman at Goldsboro, North Carolina, and was present at the surrender of General Johnston's army, the closing drama of the war. Captain Washburn in all this campaign did well and