Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
DANIEL RUNYON, residing two miles north of Perrysville, is one of the oldest men in Highland Township, and among the most respected citizens of Vermillion County. He is a native of Kentucky, born in Mason County, July 31, 1802, being reared to manhood in his native county. His father, David L. Runyon, was born in New Jersey, emigrating from that State to Kentucky, where he lived until his death. He was the father of five sons and six daughters, of whom two sons and three daughters are living at the present time -- Daniel, our subject; David, who lives in Fleming County, Kentucky, on the old homestead, and the daughters are also residents of Kentucky. Daniel Runyon, whose name heads this sketch, came to Indiana in 1853, and located at West Lebanon, where he kept a hotel one year. He was then engaged in the same business about a year at Attica, and from there removed to Williamsport, where he lived two years. He then came to Vermillion County, and kept hotel at Perrysville one year, when he removed to Mound Prairie, Warren County, where he followed agricultural pursuits for eight years. In 1865 he returned to Vermillion County, and settled on the place where he has since made his home. His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Marshall, died March 27, 1876. Of the eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Runyon only four are living -- John, Daniel, James, born August 27, 1844, now living on the old homestead with his father, and Mary, also living at home. Seven children are deceased -- LeRoy died in his twenty-second year; William died aged about twenty years; Dolly, deceased wife of Francis Florida, and Martha, deceased wife of Elijah Lowe, and three who died in childhood. Martha, the infant daughter of his daughter Martha, was reared in the home of Mr. Runyon. Mr. Runyon, as was his wife, is a consistent member of the Baptist church.
WILLIAM NICHOLS, deceased, was born in Vermillion County, Indiana, May 3, 1835, a son of William and Rhoda (Martin) Nichols, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively, and early settlers of Vermillion County, where they spent the last years of their lives. They had a family of thirteen children, but four of whom are living. William Nichols was reared a farmer and followed that vocation all his life. Although poor when he started for himself, he was successful and at his death left a good farm of 115 acres. He was married November 30, 1856, to Jane, daughter of Payton and Anna (Campbell) Merriman. To them were born four children -- Brenton, Elma, Oscar and Edgar. Brenton married
WILLIAM L. MOREY, of the "Morey Company," dealers in drugs, groceries and notions, Clinton, Indiana, was born in that city September 20, 1854, a son of Benjamin F. and Sarah (Wishard) Morey. Benjamin F. Morey was one of the prominent and influential citizens of Clinton, where all his manhood life was spent, and who for thirty-four years was identified with its material and social interests. He was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1828, and in 1848 located in Clinton, where for about twenty-five years he worked at the blacksmith's trade. In 1873 he embarked in the grocery business, building up a large trade. In June, 1876, he sold out his stock of groceries, taking a two months vacation, when in August he purchased a drug store, admitting his son William L. as a partner. They added jewelry, books and notions to the drug stock, and in 1884 also added a stock of groceries. He was married in 1852 to Mrs. Sarah I. (Wishard) Bogart, the widow of Henry Bogart, who died in 1846, leaving one child, John H., who is now a prominent physician of Clinton. To Mr. and Mrs. Morey were born two children -- William L. and Frank, wife of Dr. Charles M. White, of Clinton. B. F. Morey died October 10, 1885 from a stroke of appopolexy. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was a prominent Mason, a member of Jerusalem Lodge, at Clinton and Terre Haute Chapter, and also of Amant Lodge, I. O. O. F. In politics he was a staunch supporter of the Republican party. He was a public-spirited, upright man and left an honorable name as the inheritance of his children. He was a careful business man and accumulated a comfortable property. William L. Morey has spent his life in Clinton, where his primary education was received, but later attended Wabash College, from which he graduated in 1876. Immediately after his leaving school he entered into partnershiip with his father, the firm name then becoming B. F. Morey & Son, which has been changed since his father's death to The Morey Company. He has a good business, his annual sales amounting to about $20,000, and is numbered among the propserous young merchants of the county. He is one of the prominent Republicans of the younger class, and in the campaign of 1880 was chairman of the Clinton Township Committee. He is serving his second term as mayor of Clinton, as chairman of the Board of Trustees by courtesy is called. He was married October 25, 1882, to Miss Clara Swinehart, a native of Terre Haute, Indiana, born September 8, 1860, a daughter of R. H. and Ann (Palmer) Swinehart. They have two children -- Lois and Benjamin F.
JOSIAH C. JACKSON, one of the leading business men of Hillsdale, was born in Helt Township, Vermillion County, Indiana November 30, 1843, a son of John and Lydia (Short) Jackson, the father being a native of Kentucky. He was one of the early pioneers of this county, settling right in the woods of Helt Township in 1832, where he built a small log cabin in which he lived many years. He died on the land on which he first settled, April 3, 1853. He
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.