INGenWeb.org

   COORDINATORS:



368 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana

[ This page is blank ]


Biographical Sketches - 369
Nancy, died February 19, 1861. She was the wife of Isaac Rouse, and left at her death three children. The father established the first harness shop in Perrysville, where he carried on the business until 1842. He then sold out and purchased 100 acres of the Riley homestead, on which he located. He added largely to his original purchase until he owned about 600 acres becoming one of the wealthy and influential men of Highland Township. He died at the homestead, November 1, 1880. The mother of our subject died May 4, 1868, and after her death the father married again. His widow still survives and is making her home in Danville. Francis M. Riley is one of the leading farmers and stock-raisers in Vermillion County. He was the first to introduce the Poll-Angus breed of cattle into the county, and is making a success in the raising of this valuable breed. He is also engaged in the manufacture of tile, this enterprise being carried on under the firm name of Riley & Shute. The works of this firm are at Rileysburg, where a superior quality of tile is produced. Mr. Riley served four months in the war of the Rebellion, being a member of the Seventy-first Illinois Infantry. He was married May 8, 1877, to Miss Martha W. Rodgers who was born in Warren County, Indiana, March 25, 1860, her father, Elisha Rodgers, being still a resident of that county. Politically Mr. Riley affiliates with the Republican party. He is at present one of the commissioners of Vermillion County, having been elected to that office in the fall of 1884, and re-elected in the fall of 1886. He has a beautiful farm of 327 acres of land, 160 of which belonged to the original homestead, and its entire surroundings are indicative of the enterprise and industry of the owner. In the building of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad, a station was secured at Rileysburg, through the influence of Mr. Riley. The name was originally Riley, but there being another station on the railroad bearing that name, the name of this station was changed to Rileysburg in the spring of 1885. The place was formerly but a flag station, but is now a regular station, and is a place of some importance, where considerable shipping is carried on. Mr. Riley takes a deep interest in the welfare of the town, and every movement calculated to aid in building up the place has his encouragement and assistance.



STEPHEN STEVENSON COLLETT, deceased, was a resident near Eugene. He was a son of John and Elizabeth Collett, a sketch of whom we give elsewhere. Born in Pennsylvania in 1792, he was nine years old when the family came West with him, traveling by flat boat down the Ohio River to Lime Rock, Kentucky, in 1800. He came to this State in 1818, in company with his brother, Josephus, their father having been appointed deputy United States Surveyor in the Maumee Valley. Stephen himself, as deputy United States Surveyor for a part of indiana Territory, made the first surveys of the counties of Owen, Putnam, Montgomery and Tippecanoe. He was subsequently engaged in mercantile pursuits at Terre Haute, where the firms of Linton & Collett, and Rose & Collett, had extensive business relations in the fur trade with John Jacob Astor, with headquarters at Mackinac. In 1827 he removed to Eugene, Vermillion County, of which village plat he was the first proprietor, and where he engaged in the shipping of farm products and general merchandise by flat-boats to new Orleans. He was chosen as a Whig of the Henry Clay