INGenWeb.org

   COORDINATORS:



380 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana
thigh, necessitating a surgical operation which shortened his limb three and a half inches. For gallantry there he was offered a Major's commission, but he determined to remain with his own company, who regarded him as a father rather than an officer. He also determined if he could to remain by his men in the field at the battle of Antietam, and went in using a crutch and cane, but under the excitement of that day he was soon able to do duty without either. But his active service ended there. As Assistant Provost-Marshal in charge of Camp Lindsey, at Terre Haute, under Colonel R. W. Thompson, Provost-Marshal, he placed over 1,400 men in the field. His own personal popularity did much toward saving Clinton Township for any draft. As assistant Provost-Marshal his services only ended with the end of the war, covering four years and six months. He now receives a pension of $24 a month. His wife's brothers, Edwin P. and Danvers C. Boyce, were soldiers in the Eighty-fifth Indiana Infantry, and his brother William Lindsey served in his company, and was detailed to care for him when wounded. Captain Lindsey, when the war commenced was a radical Democrat, and from that time was as strong a Republican. He is a comrade of Owen Post, No. 329, G. A. R., and a member of Sanford Lodge, No. 330, A. F. & A. M.



JOHN F. LANGSTON, one of the most active and enterprising citizens of Summit Grove, was born in Helt Township, Vermillion County, Indiana, near Dana, February 18, 1849, a son of John M. and Mary (Skidmore) Langston, who were among the early pioneer of the county. In his youth he received a fair common school education. He was reared a farmer, and made that his principal vocation until 1882, when in September of that year he came to Summit Grove and engaged in the mercantile business, and has since established a good trade, carrying a full line of general stock, and also sells champion harvesters, and other agricultural implements. He also deals in grain, poultry and general country produce, and in addition to his business he is express and railroad agent at Summit Grove as well as assistant post-master. Mr. Langston was married April 14 1874, to Miss Eliza Jackson by whom he had two children, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Langston died February 2, 1877, and Mr. Langston was again married March 15, 1885, to Mrs. Sarah V. Shannon, widow of the late Frank Shannon, and a daughter of John Taylor, of Vermillion County. They are the parents of one child, a daughter named Jennie Mabel. Mr. Langston never seeks official honors. He is a man of strict integrity, honorable in all his dealings, and during his residence at Summit Grove has gained the respect and confidence of all who know him.



WORTH W. PORTER, a worthy representative of one of Vermillion County's old pioneer families, is a native of this county, born in Eugene Township, June 11, 1857. His father, John W. Porter, who is now deceased, was also a native of Vermillion County, a son of the noted Judge John R. Porter, who was one of the most prominent of the early settlers. John W. Porter was a farmer and a stock-raiser, vocation he followed until his death which occurred June 15, 1873. The maiden name of his wife was Hettie Tipton, and they were the parents of nine children, seven of whom yet survive -- Mary, Abbie, Jennie, Minnie, John, Zoe and Worth W., the subject of this


Biographical Sketches - 381
sketch. One daughter named Lizzie, died after her marriage, leaving a family of three children. Worth W. Porter was reared to agricultural pursuits on the home farm in Eugene Township, and in his youth received a fair common-school education. He was married November 29, 1879, to Miss Louisa Campbell, a daughter of Hogan Campbell, of Eugene Township. This union has been blessed with three children, named Jessie, Jennie and Clarence. Mr. Porter resides on section 9, Eugene Township, where he owns sixty-three acres of choice land, and in connection with his general farming is engaged in dealing in stock. Both he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and among the most respected citizens of Eugene Township.



ROBERT H. NIXON, one of the leading business men of Newport, succeeded James F. Weller in the drug business February 11, 1863, the business having been established by John Q. Washburn in the early history of the town. Mr. Nixon has been longer in business than any of the business men of Newport, and by his accommodating manners, reasonable prices and strict attention to the wants of his customers, he has met with excellent success. He began life a poor boy, and by his good management has acquired a competence. He was born in Newport, Vermillion County, May 24, 1842, and here he grew to manhood. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company C., Eighteenth Indiana Infantry, and served in Missouri under General Fremont. After being in the service a year he was discharged for disability, a bronchial affection brought on by exposure. He was united in marriage to Miss Maria Heffleman, a native of Vermillion County, born May 4, 1844, her parents, Elias and Phoebe Heffleman, coming from Ohio to this county in an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Nixon are the parents of seven children, two sons and five daughters. In politics Mr. Nixon is a Republican, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. Mr. Nixon is the only son of Joshua and Margaret Nixon. The father was born in Adams County, Ohio, where he was reared to the avocation of a farmer. He was of Irish descent, his parents being natives of the Emerald Isle. After coming to Newport, Vermillion County, he engaged in building and running flat-boats down to New Orleans by way of the Wabash, Ohio and Mississippi rivers. He was married in Ohio after locating in Newport, to Miss Margaret Lovejoy, a daughter of Joseph Lovejoy, a descendant of the family of which Owen Lovejoy was a member. She is now deceased. In 1847 the father of our subject engaged in the business of cabinet making and undertaking at Newport which he followed until his death. He was a honest, industrious citizen, and was respected by all who knew him. His brother, Robert Nixon, came to Newport as early as 1836. He was a carpenter by trade, and was also engaged for a time in flat-boating with his brother. He removed to Kansas in 1872, where he is now living at the advanced age of eighty-three years.



JAMES B. RICHARDSON, residing on section 6, Highland Township, is a native of Vermillion County, Indiana, born in Eugene Township, October 27, 1830, a son of Alexander and Mahala (Cox) Richardson, the former born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, in 1799, and the latter a native of Ken-