Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
SIMPSON W. COFFIN, residing on section 8, Eugene Township, was born May 10, 1829, on the old homestead, commonly called the Collett farm, and located one and a quarter miles from his present home. His father, Dr. William Coffin, who is now deceased, came to this county from Guilford County, North Carolina, in 1822, and settled in Eugene Township in the spring of 1823, entering land from the Government. At the time of his settlement Indians and wild animals were numerous, and he often traded with the Indians. On one occasion a number of Indians came to his house all intoxicated but two who remained sober to take care of the others. Little damage was done by them at that time except the breaking of a large looking-glass. For ten years Dr. Coffin was associated in the practice of medicine with Dr. Scott, late of Newport. The mother of our subject, Eunice Coffin, was a daughter of Zeno Worth. The parents of our subject had a family of nine chldren, two of whom died young. The names of those who reached maturity are as follows -- Berkley (deceased), Nelson (a prominent physician of Monticello, Illinois), Laura (deceased), Emily (living in Clarke County, Iowa), Simpson W, Mary and Miriam (deceased). Simpson W. Coffin, our subject was reared to the avocation of a farmer, and was educated at the Bloomington (Indiana) University, and Wabash College of Crawfordsville. He was married April 6, 1856, to Miss Rachel A. Tutt, a daughter of James and Melinda (Neel) Tutt, who reside in Helt Township, town of Highland, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Coffin are the parents of three children named -- Milton, William and Belle. Mr. Coffin has met with good success in his agricultural pursuits, and is now the owner of 220 acres of choice land. He devotes his entire attention to farming and stock-raising, making a specialty of graded stock. Mrs. Coffin is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
PHILANDER GOFF, of Highland Township, is a representative of one of the earliest pioneer families of Vermillion County, his father, David Goff, settling in Highland Township in 1823. The Goff family originated in Wales, three brothers coming to America in an early day in the history of the country, one of whom settled in Canada, one in Rhode Island and the other in New Jersey. David Goff was born in Connecticut in 1798, and in 1804, when he was but six years old, his father immigrated to Western New York, settling in Monroe County. In 1815 David, then a youth of seventeen years, left the homestead and with his brothers, Brainard and Almon, started West, gradually working their way until they reached Carlisle, Indiana, where they worked for some time in a distillery. In 1823 they came up the Wabash River to Perrysville, stopping along the route and working at all points where new towns were building, between Carlisle and Covington. They did not then decide to locate at Perrysville, but continued their journeyings to what is now the city of Chicago. They soon returned to Perrysville and assisted in erecting the first building in the place and also at Terre Haute, and now decided to end their journeyings and locate. David and Almon entered eighty acres of land about two miles west of Perrysville and Brainard located
LEWIS SHEPARD, M.D., a prominent physician of Newport, is a native of Vermillion County, born November 15, 1839, a son of Benjamin and Eliza (Johnson) Shepard. He was raised in this county, spending his early life on his father's farm. In 1865 he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. C. Cook, remaining under his instruction two years, when he went to the Miami Medical College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, and attended lectures two years, graduating in 1868. In the same year he began his practice at Quaker Hill, remaining there until 1874, when he moved to Newport, where he has since built up a large practice. Dr. Shepard was married in 1874 to Susie Hannahs, a native of Ohio. They have one child -- Grace. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, Vermillion Lodge, No. 584. In politics he is a Democrat. Dr. Shepard has a good home in the village of Newport.
CALVIN B. HARRISON, a member of the Harrison family who settled in Vermillion County among the early pioneers, was born in Clinton Township, this county, March 7, 1837, and now resides on section 19 of the same township, within forty rods of his father's homestead. His father, Benjamin Harrison, settled here with his family about the year 1832, and did much toward developing the early resources of the county, and lived and died an honored and respected citizen. With the exception of five months spent in Knox County, Illinois, during the year 1860, Mr. Harrison has always lived in Vermillion County, in the neighborhood of his birthplace. He was early in life inured to farm work, and has always followed the avocation of a farmer, although for the past four years he has also been engaged in the manufacture of tile. He was united in marriage November 27, 1861, to Miss America Eviston, a native of Parke County, Indiana, born November 3, 1843, a daughter of Thomas and Olive Eviston. Her parents settled in Clinton Township, this county,
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.