Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
JOHN HARLIN, farmer and dealer in graded stock, resides on section 8, Vermillion Township, where he owns 300 acres of land. He is a native of Vermillion County, born April 23, 1839, a son of Cornelius and Martha (Tate) Harlin, natives of Tennessee. He was reared in his native county, and is now one of her most enterprising citizens. his fine farm is under good cultivation, but he makes a specialty of raising stock, the most of which he sells on the farm, although he occasionally sends a shipment to Chicago. Mr. Harlin was married October 17, 1871, to Hattie A. Shepard, daughter of Ben and Eliza Shepard, pioneers of Newport, Vermillion County, where Mrs. Harlin was born March 15, 1844. In politics Mr. Harlin is a Democrat.
ROBERT A. CRAIG, an enterprising agriculturist of Eugene Township, residing on section 8, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, November 7, 1826, a son of John and Isabel (Wishard) Craig, both deceased, the father having been born in the State of Pennsylvania. Our subject learned blacksmithing in his boyhood, and worked at that trade for a period of thirty-five years. He came to Indiana in 1847, locating in Clay County. He was married August 18, 1849, to Miss Margaret Price, a daughter of Israel and Margaret (Gordon) Price, both of whom are deceased. To this union nine children were born -- Sarah, Alex, Francis M., Martha, Samuel, Amanda, Dollie B. (deceased), James and William E. Mr. Craig served in the Seventh Indiana Battery during the war of the Rebellion and participated in the battles of Pittsburgh Landing, Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, and a number of skirmishes. While in battle their Captain always told his men to have the last shot. Mr. Craig has received a pension from the Government since 1865 for his services during the war. He came to Vermillion County in the spring of 1867, settling in Eugene Township where he has since made his home. He is the owner of a fine farm of 170 acres and is now engaged in farming and stock-raising. He has a fine stone quarry, containing the best quality of sand stone, which is used in build-
GEORGE W. WATSON, one of the respected citizens of Eugene Township, where he is engaged in farming, was born in LaSalle County, Illinois, September 8, 1858, a son of Alva Watson, of Danville, Illinois. His father settled in Danville when our subject was quite small, and here he was reared, receiving his education in the schools of that city. He has always followed the avocation of a farmer, in which he has met with fair success. He came to Vermillion County, Indiana, in 1876, and has since made his home in Eugene Township, and during his residence here has won many friends by his fair and honorable dealings, and genial disposition. He was united in marriage in February, 1882, to Miss Lucinda Sprouls, a daughter of Andrew Sprouls, of Eugene Township. They are the parents of three children, named Edith Grace, EuDora and Daniel A.
HENRY B. JAMES, an active and enterprising agriculturist of Vermillion County, was born on the homestead on section 17, Helt Township, where he now resides, January 29, 1852, his father, Samuel R. James, being still a resident of the same township. He was reared to the vocation of a farmer, which he has followed through life, and in his youth he attended the schools of the county, there he received a fair common school education. He was united in marriage October 11, 1876, to Miss Virginia, a daughter of John S. Anderson, of Helt Township, Vermillion County, Mrs. James died in the year 1880, and in 1882 Mr. James was again married to Miss Caroline Dinsmore, a daughter of James Dinsmore who is now deceased. They are the parents of three children, their names being as follows -- Homer, Golda and Samuel. In connection with his general farming Mr. James devotes some attention to stock-raising, making a specialty of graded stock. He is a thorough, practical farmer, and is the owner of a fine farm of 143 acres where he resides. He is a man of strict integrity, honorable in all his dealings, and is numbered among the respected citizens of Helt Township.
WILLIAM A. GOODWIN, section 8, Helt Township, was born in Carter County, Tennessee, October 18, 1839. His father, Alfred L. Goodwin, was a native of the same county, born in 1815, and was a son of Lawson Goodwin, a hero of the war of 1812. William A. was reared a farmer in his native county, but when a young man learned the carpenter's trade at which he has worked thirty years. He came to Indiana in July, 1866, and lived in Parke County two years, and in 1868 moved to Vermillion County. His homestead contains twelve acres of good land which he cultivates in addition to working at his trade. Mr. Goodwin enlisted during the war of the Rebellion in Company A, was transferred to Company G, Thirteenth Tennessee Cavalry, and served two years, participating in many hard fought battles and campaigns. He served two years, and was honorably discharged. Mr. Goodwin was married in the fall of 1861 to Elizabeth Mitchell, daughter of Hider M. Mitchell, of Taylorsville, Ten-
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.