INGenWeb.org

   COORDINATORS:



418 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana
Charity Haupt, of Lyon County, Kansas; Mrs. Laura Pennington, of Edgar County, Illinois, and Elizabeth Adon, of Edgar County, Illinois; George S., Emma and Della, at home with their parents. Two of their children, named Sarah O. and Francis, are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Martin, with four of their daughters, missouri, Elizabeth, Laura and Emma, are members of the Protestant Methodist church. In politics Mr. Martin is a Republican with Prohibition proclivities.



LEVI S. SCOTT, a prominent and enterprising agriculturist of Vermillion County, engaged in farming and stock-raising, was born on the homestead where he now resides, on section 15, Clinton Tonwship, [sic] the date of his birth being october 29, 1855, a son of Matthew W. Scott, who is now a resident of Clinton. He was reared to the vocation of a farmer, and all his life has been spent in this neighborhood. The homestead upon which he resides was his father's first home in Clinton Township, and here he lived until January 5, 1882, when he removed to Clinton. He still owns the property, his son, the subject of this sketch, managing the same, and at the same time carries on his own farm on section 21, where he has 160 acres of choice land, the latter being known as the McPheter's farm to old settlers. Levi S. Scott was united in marriage September 10, 1878, to Miss Susannah Scott, a daughter of James and Emily Scott. Though of the same name his wife was not a relative. She was born in Connorsville, Indiana, May 27, 1855. Her parents now reside in Charleston, Illinois. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Scott, named Grace D. and Ivan W. In his political views Mr. Scott affiliates with the Democratic party. Mr. Scott is classed among the active and public-spirited men of his township, and every enterprise calculated to advance the interests of his township of county has his encouragement and assistance.



CHARLES P. WALKER, superintendent and treasurer of the Norton Creek Coal Mines, and one of the leading business men of Vermillion County, is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born October 22, 1849. His father, Christopher Walker, was a merchant in that city, and later was in the mercantile trade at Connorsville, Indiana, and from Connorsville he removed to logansport, Indiana. He became interested in railroad enterprises, and at the time of his death, which occurred in Chicago, Illinois, in January, 1869, he was the treasurer of the Chicago & Great Eastern, now known as the Pan-Handle Railroad. Charles P. Walker, whose name heads this sketch, received a good business education, and early in life became one of the clerical staff in the railroad treasurer's office, under the supervision of his father. He has been a resident of Clinton since the spring of 1874, and during his residence in Vermillion County he has been engaged in coal production. About 300 men on an average are employed by the Norton Creek Mining Companym and in his position as treasurer Mr. Walker is trusted with the management of large interests. The company, in order to accommodate their extensive business, erected a large building for mercantile trade, and put up several tenement houses to accommodate their employes, in Clinton Township, two and a half miles northwest of Clinton, and gave this village the name of Geneva in honor of Mr. Walker's second daughter. Mr. Walker was mar-


Biographical Sketches - 419

[ This page is blank. ]