INGenWeb.org

   COORDINATORS:



424 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana
and also works a little in wood. He is a skillful and reliable workman, and is meeting with good success in his business. He is a native of Helt Township, this county, the date of his birth being January 13, 1855, and is a son of Hon. William Skidmore, now deceased, who was a prominent citizen of the county for many years. Our subject was reared to the vocation of a farmer on the old homestead in Helt township, and received his education principally in Liberty school-house. He owns nineteen and a half acres of choice land where he resides. He was united in marriage, October 31, 1878, to Miss Susannah Tillotson, a daughter of Daniel Tillotson, her father being deceased. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Skidmore, whose names are Cora B., George W. and Roy B. Both Mr. and Mrs. Skidmore are active and consistent Christians, the former being a member of the United Brethren church at Liberty, and the latter being a member of the Baptist church at Toronto.



DR. HENRY T. WATKINS, physician and surgeon, St. Bernice, Vermillion County, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 14, 1850. His father, John C. Watkins, who is now deceased, was a native of England, coming to the United States when a young man. For thirty years he was engaged in contracting and building in Cincinnati. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Cincinnati, graduating from the high school at that city in 1868. He subsequently attended the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati. He graduated from Hahnneman Medical College, of Chicago, Illinois, and is also a graduate of the Kentucky School of Medicine, at Louisville, Kentucky, taking a special course in chemistry and surgery while at Louisville. He took special courses in Chicago in diseases of the eye and ear, and in diseases of women and children, and is now making a specialty of these diseases. He came to St. Bernice in 1881. Dr. Watkins was married in the spring of 1869, to Miss Mary A. P. McAwane, and they are the parents of two children, named Annie and Alma. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity.



GEORGE W. STULTZ, one of Clinton Township's representative citizens, residing on section 21, is a native of Vermillion County, Indiana, born in Clinton Township, October 29, 1841. George Stultz, the grandfather of our subject, was one of the early pioneers of the county, coming with his family from Ohio, and settling on section 35, Clinton Township, about the year 1832, where he lived until his death. His second son, Solomon Stultz, was the father of our subject. He was about fifteen years of age when his parents settled in this county. He married Miss Zenia A. Groves, and of the eight children born to this union our subject was the eldest.  The other children are -- Lewis G., who served in the Seventy-first Indiana Infantry, and the Sixth indiana Cavalry during the war of the Rebellion, is now living in Clinton Township; Joseph H., a resident of Edgar County, Illinois; Drusilla J. and William died after reaching maturity, and three who died in infancy. In 1852 the family removed to Knox County, Missouri, where the mother died in February, 1854, aged thirty-two years. Not long after his wife's death Solomon Stultz returned to this county, and about six months later he married Mrs. Melinda Reeder, widow of William Reeder, by whom she had five children. Mr. Stultz then settled on section 21, Clinton Township,


Biographical Sketches - 425
the former home of William Reeder, and to his second marriage were born three children -- Alfred C., of Clinton Township; John, who died in infancy, and Mrs. Nettie G. Gray, of Clinton. The father died in February, 1886. He was a worthy and consistent member of the Baptist church, and a much respected citizen. His widow still survives, and lives at the old home in Clinton Township. George W. Stultz, whose name heads this sketch, was reared to agricultural pursuits, and has always followed the vocation of a farmer. He received his educaation in the log cabin subscription schools of his neighborhood, where he made the most of his limited advantages. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Fourteenth Indiana Infantry for three months, but went to the front in Company H, Sixteenth Indiana Infantry, under an enlistment for one year, which he served in Maryland and Virginia. October 25, 1863, he married Miss Sarah Clark, who was born on the homestead, where she now lives, the second child of James and Serena (Bright) Clark. Her father was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, in 1800, and was first married in his native State to Miss Sarah Round, and three of the children born to this union are yet living -- Mrs. Jane Halter and Mrs. Lydia Crabb, residents of Washington Territory, and Mrs. Mary Stone, of Clinton.  Mr. Clark settled in Vermillion County, when it was a dense forest, and when Indians and wild animals were the principal inhabitants. He was again united in marriage to Mrs. James S. Smith, who was born and reared in the State of North Carolina. To this union five children were born, Mrs. Stultz being the second child. Of the others, joseph S. and James G. live in Clinton Township near Mrs. Stultz; Mrs. Della Ann Martin lives in Kansas, and Mrs.. Susan E. Porter is deceased. Mr. Clark died April 11, 1877, his widow surviving until September 16, 1880, both dying at the age of seventy-nine years. Mrs. Clark was twice married before becoming the wife of Mr. Clark, taking for her first husband Jesse B. Cox, and for her second husband James S. Smith. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist church. Mr. and Mrs. Stultz are the parents of three children, all yet alive under the home roof; their names being -- Charles A., Samuel C. and George R. Five of their children are deceased -- Lewis M., died in his eighth year; Lawrence E., aged four years; Lena, aged four years, and two who died in infancy. As before stated Mr. and Mrs. Stultz make their home on the old homestead of her parents, which is located on the Hazel Bluff Gravel road, and contains 120 acres of choice land. Besides this farm Mr. Stultz owns a tract of eight acres also located in Clinton Township. In politics he is an ardent Republican, and prominent in local politics. He held the office of trustee of Clinton Township from 1882 until 1886, serving as such with credit to himself, and to the best interests of his township. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, belonging to Amant Lodge, No. 356, I. O. O. F., of Clinton. Both he and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist church.



JACOB MILLER, one of the old and honored pioneers of Vermillion County, residing on section 22, Helt Township, was born in Lewis County, Kentucky, February 28, 1818. His father, Jacob Miller, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a son of Jacob Miller, who was a native of Germany. The mother of our subject, Barbara (Fried) Miller, was a native of Maryland, and of German descent. The parents came with their family to Indiana in 1831, they settling