486 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana

he entered the employ of the Indianapolis, Decatur and Springfield Railroad as station agent at Attwood, Illinois, remaining there until June, 1877, when he came to Dana, Vermillion County, holding the position of station agent at this place until November, 1886. He engaged in his present business in March 1887, in which he has met with good success. January 14, 1875, he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Matthews, a daughter of James Matthews, of Arcola, Illinois. Of the four children born to this union, three are living -- Charles, Albert and Clyde. One son, named Dallas, met his death by suffocation in the Dana Grain Elevator in June 1886, at the age of six years. Mr. Wells belongs to both the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders. Mrs. Wells is a worthy member of the Presbyterian church.

JESSE L. PEER, dealer in dry goods shoes and notions, Dana, Indiana, is a native of Vermillion County, born in Helt Township, March 8, 1840, a son of John and Jane (Dawson) Peer, his father a native of Virginia, and his mother of Kentucky. His father came when a boy with his parents to Vermillion County, Indiana, and settled near Eugene. Jesse L. Peer was reared a farmer, and followed that vocation until 1867, when he became crippled, the result of a kick from a horse, and being unable to attend to his farm moved to Toronto, and engaged in the mercantile business, remaining there until 1874, when he located in Dana, and opened a general store. In 1886 he closed out his grocery department but now has a good line of dry goods, carpets, boots and shoes, wall paper and notions. His stock is valued at about $6,000 and he has a good paying trade. Mr. Peer was married June 11, 1868, to Keziah Crusour, daughter of Moses Crusour. They have had eight children, four of whom are living -- Ira, Sarah, John and Frederick. Mr. Peer was postmaster at Toronto about five years. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order. Two of his brothers, William and Benjamin, were soldiers in the war of the Rebellion.

SIMEON HOLLINGSWORTH, farmer and stock-raiser, resides on section 14, Vermillion Township, where he owns 150 acres of land under a high state of cultivation. He is a native of Vermillion County, born May 25, 1832, a son of Joel and Lydia (Sprague) Hollingsworth, natives of South Carolina, who came to Indiana in 1820, and settled in Vermillion County, being among the earliest settlers of Helt Township. The mother died in 1852, aged forty-four years, and the father in 1875, aged seventy-two years. They had a family of eleven children, but four of whom are living -- Hiram and Mary J., of Kansas; John W., of Missouri, and Simeon. The father lived to see the county which he helped to settle one of the best in the State, and became one of its most prominent and influential citizens. Simeon Hollingsworth was reared on the old homestead in Helt Township, remaining at home until manhood, when he started in life for himself, and by good management has acquired a good property. He was married in 1852 to Lucinda Johnson, who was born in Shelby County, Indiana, in 1830, a daughter of Isaac and Mary Johnson, pioneers of Vermillion County. Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth have had two children, but one is living -- Joel, who is still living at home. He married Sarah, daughter of James and Nancy Hendricks, and has one child -- Caleb. Mr.

Biographical Sketches - 487

Hollingsworth is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Asbury Lodge, No. 320. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party.

NATHAN JACOBS, of Highland Township, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, January 4, 1811. His father, Daniel Jacobs, was born near Lexington, Kentucky, and when a young man moved to Gallia County, Ohio, where he married Sarah Ensminger, and when an old man moved to Douglas County, Illinois, where he died. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was taken prisoner at Fort Meigs. In 1830 Nathan Jacobs accompanied his mother and stepfather to Vermillion County, Indiana, where he has since lived. His mother died in Highland Township. Nathan Jacobs is one of the pioneers of the county, which he has seen develop from a wilderness to its present advanced state. He has been twice married and has six children, one son and five daughters. In politics Mr. Jacobs is a Republican. he is a member of the United Brethren church.

RICHARD M. RUCKER, a resident of Clinton, is a native of Indiana, born in Jackson County, December 16, 1831, a son of Terrill and Lovina Rucker. In his youth he learned the cooper's trade, which he followed until he went in defense of his country in the war of the Rebellion. He was united in marriage in 1858 to Miss Minerva J. Sleath, a native of Burlington, Iowa, born August 9, 1837, and of the thirteen children born to this union four died in infancy. Those yet living are -- Mrs. Gracie Groves, of Edgar County, Illinois; John, Minerva, Richard M., Samuel, Addison, Isabelle and Charles. Mr. Rucker enlisted in June, 1862, in Company A, Seventy-first Indiana Infantry, leaving the State with his regiment during the latter part of August. August 31 they encountered the rebel army under General Kirby Smith at Richmond, Kentucky. His regiment lost heavily in this engagement, losing all the field officers, and the larger part of the regiment including Mr. Rucker were taken prisoners and paroled on the field. The paroled prisoners were sent North, but exchanged and in the field again before the close of the year, and employed in protecting lines of communication. During the summer of 1863 the regiment returned to Indianapolis, and after being recruited, was re-organized and became the Sixth Indiana Cavalry. It joined Burnside's army, and campaigned in the vicinity of Knoxville during Burnside's operations at that place. The regiment was part of Burnside's force, and was actively employed in the campaign of General Sherman against General Johnston's army, which culminated in the capture of Atlanta. The Sixth Indiana Cavalry joined Sherman's army at Buzzard's Roost and did splendid service in that campaign. During the Stoneman raid at Sunshine Church Mr. Rucker was shot through the right lung, and with the most of his regiment was again taken prisoner. At Hillsboro his wound was treated, but not skillfully. Later he was imprisoned at Macon, Georgia, and still later at Andersonville. From Andersonville he was taken to Mellen, Georgia, and from there paroled, and sent to the parol camp at Annapolis, Maryland. During all these changes Mr. Rucker was much debilitated, with hardly more than a hold upon life. He was finally exchanged and again joined his regiment, but never afterward did much hard service. At the close of the war he received