Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
She died when the subject of this sketch was a child. He was reared on a farm, receiving in his boyhood such education as the rude log cabin susbscription schools of that early day afforded. In later years he attended the academy in Georgetown, Illinois, and the Vermillion Academy in this county, and subsequently taught shcool some seven or eight years. During the late war he enlisted as a private in Company E, Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, General Grant's first regiment, he being its Colonel. Dr. Mack remained in the service of his country over four years, and participated in a number of important engagements, including the battles of Fredericktown, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Atlanta campaign, Franklin and Nashville. He was on active duty for eleven days in the front line in the Atlanta campaign. He was mustered out as First Lieutenant, having been neither wounded nor sick during his entire term of service. At the breaking out of the war he was engaged in dentistry and photography, but after the war he attended medical lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio. He began the practice of medicine in 1866 at Tower Hill, Illinois, where he remained until coming to Hillsdale, Vermillion County, in 1873. Since becoming a resident of this place he has established a large medical practice being well skilled in the knowledge of his profession. Dr. Mack was married May 22, 1878, to Miss Matilda R. Hinkle, a daughter of Jackson Hinkle, of Farmersburg, Sullivan County, Indiana. They have two children, named Mabel and Paul. The doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also belongs to the Grand Army of the republic. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he is a staunch Republican. Genial in temperament, charitable toward the unfortunate, and being active in the support of every movement calculated to promote the public welfare, he takes a prominent position in the community, and is respected by all who know him.
THOMAS P. PINSON, residing on section 35, Clinton Township, was born in Edgar County, Illinois, August 31, 1838, a son of Allen and Margaret (Noblitt) Pinson. His parents were born in the State of Virginia, reared in Kentucky, and married in Illinois. In 1841 they settled in Vermillion County, Indiana, on the land now owned and occupied by our subject. To them were born six children as follows -- Mrs. Sarah E. Bumgardner, living in Clinton Township; Thomas P., the subject of this sketch; Jeremiah, a resident of Vigo County, Indiana; David, residing in Missouri; Andrew J., a physician residing in Clinton, and Mrs. Martha Shew, also living in Clinton Township. The father was a liberal, progressive man, and while in moderate circumstances he did much toward aiding his children. He was particularly interested in the advancement of the cause of education, and gave a school-house site to his neighborhood. He was a consistent member of the Christian church. He died in 1845, at the early age of thirty-three years. Twenty-five years after his death his widow married J. D. Bozarth. She is again a widow, and is cared for by her son Dr. A. F. Pinson. Three of her sons, Jeremiah, David and Andrew J. were soldiers in the war of the Rebellion. Jeremiah lost a leg at the battle of Shiloh. David served his country three years. Andrew J. first enlisted for a term of six months, and again enlisted for one year. Thomas P. Pinson, whose name heads this sketch, was reared to the vocation of a
farmer, on the place where he now resides. He was married April 13, 1862, to Miss Direxa Shew, a daughter of the pioneer Henry Shew, and was born on the old homestead of her parents in Clinton Township, October 9, 1846. They commenced housekeeping on the homestead which they now occupy, and have since resided here with the exception of 1863-1864 when they lived on the old homestead of Mrs. Pinson's parents. They then bought out the interest of the other heirs in the Pinson homestead, which consists of 198 acres of choice land, all but twenty acres being well improved and very productive. The original homestead contained but sixty acres, the remainder being added since they first settled here. In connection with his farming Mr. Pinson is doing a little mercantile trade. Mr. and Mrs. Pinson are the parents of four children -- Ora E., wife of William Haskell, living near her parents on a part of the estate; Henry S., Maggie I. and Elva G. at home with their parents. A family picture represents five generations of the Pinson family, including Mrs. Pinson, her mother, and grandmother, her daughter, Ora E. and a child or Ora's named Edna M. Mr. and Mrs. Pinson, and their two eldest daughters are members of the Christian church. He is a member of the National Reform party.
THOMAS E. WALTHALL, farmer and stock-raiser, section 7, Vermillion Township, is a native of Vermillion County, born in 1845, a son of William B. and Sarah (Haworth) Walthall, pioneers of the county. He was reared on his father's farm, and was given good educational advantages attending the schools of his neighborhood. He has always devoted his time to agriculture and now has a good farm of forty acres, all well improved. Mr. Walthall was married in Vermillion County, Illinois, to Sarah J. Likens, who was born in that county in 1845, a daughter of Peter Likens. They have nine children -- Florence, Priscilla, Mary, Terrence, Leitha, Glenn E., Frank, Hermos and Grace. Mr. Walthall casts his suffrage with the Prohibition party. He and his family are birthright members of the Society of Friends.
WILLIAM J. HENDRICKS, an enterprising and progressive business man of Highland, and a second cousin of Hon. Thomas A. Hendricks, was born in Wythe County, West Virginia, July 3, 1846, a son of Jerome and Alice Jackson, the former a native of North Carolina, born in Surry County, near the Virginia line. He is now deceased. The mother of our subject is still living in Virginia, aged seventy-two years. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of his native county. He was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in Company C, Sixteenth Maryland Infantry for three years. He was in several small engagements, but was detailed as teamster the greater part of the time while in the service. He was united in marriage April 22, 1866, to Miss Mary Walker, a daughter of John Walker, who is now deceased. Four of the five children born to this union are living, their names being as follows -- Fred, Annie, Estella and Edward. After the war he settled near Indianapolis, Indiana, where he followed farming until 1870. He then went to Edgar County, Illinois, thence to Cumberland County, illinois, in 1873, where he resided until 1881. In that year he came with his
|Copyright ©1996-2016 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.