Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
family to Vermillion County, Indiana, and settled at Highland. In December, 1885, he established his present grocery, and carries a full line of groceries and provisions, notions, glass and queensware. Genial and accommodating in his manners, he has by his strict attention to the wants of his customers and fair and reasonable prices built up a good trade, and gained the confidence and respect of all with whom he has business or social intercourse. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, an organization in which he takes an active interest.
LUCIUS H. WRIGHT, residing on section 17, Clinton Township, where he has a farm of eighty acres, is a son of John and Margaret (Nichol) Wright, and a grandson of the pioneer, George Wright, who settled in Clinton Township, in 1820. He was born December 17, 1839, during the residence of his parents in Jackson County, Iowa, and the first years of his life were spent there. The balance of his youthful days were passed in Edgar County, Illinois, and Vermillion County, Indiana, having lived in the latter county continuously since 1858 except the time spent in the service of his country during the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted in the service of his country, in Company C, Eighteenth Indiana Infantry (the second company raised in Vermillion County), and served in Missouri in Fremont's campaign against rebel General Price. Suffering from an attack of measles, and broken down by hard marching, he was left behind at Syracuse, Missouri, and for nearly three months was cared for by a staunch Union farmer named Greene. Recovering slowly, he was unable for duty, and received an honorable discharge, when he returned to his home. He now receives a pension from the Government. January 20, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Porter, who was born in Clinton Township, Vermillion County, December 29, 1844, a daughter of the pioneer Charles Porter. The following February they commenced housekeeping on the old Jimmy Nichols farm in Clinton Township, and although making several changes since their marriage before settling on section 17, they have always made their home in Clinton Township, and are among the most respected residents of the township. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have six children living -- Jennette E., wife of Franklin Bumgardner, of Clinton Township; Joanna M., Lealie E., Bertha E., Dana F. and William L. Mr. Wright, and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to their lodge at Clinton. In politics he has always affiliated with the Republican party, casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.
EDGAR VAN SICKLE, telegraph operator and station agent for the Indianapolis, Decatur & Springfield Railroad Company, also express agent and postmaster at Hillsdale, is a native of New York State, born in Chautauqua County, February 5, 1849 a son of James N. and Sarah (Shearer) Van Sickle, his father having been born at Black Rock (now Buffalo), New York. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native State, where he received a common-school education. In 1864 he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in drilling for oil for two years. In 1866 he went to Canada, where he ran an engine in oil works for one year. He returned to the United
States in 1867, and engaged in the patent right business with his father, and traveled in that line through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan until 1873, and in January of that year located at Montezuma, Indiana, where he carried on the drug business three years. While a resident of Montezuma, October 6, 1873, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna McMasters, a daughter of the late Rev. William McMasters, who was an eminent Baptist minister, and a prominent Mason and Odd Fellow. Mr. Van Sickle came to Hillsdale, Vermillion County, in 1877, buying a stock of goods, and for eight years following was engaged in general mercantile pursuits. He sold out his business September 1, 1886, and entered the employ of the railroad company, taking charge of the office October 1, 1886. He has been express transfer agent here for nine years, and since 1885 has held the position of postmaster, and is filling all the above positions with honor to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. Mr. Van Sickle is an Odd Fellow, and is trustee of the Odd Fellows lodge at Montezuma.
ANDREW J. PINSON, M.D., is a Vermillion County man by birth, born April 2, 1844, in Clinton Township, on the homestead of his parents, Allen and Margaret M. (Noblitt) Pinson. There his youth was spent in assisting his father on the farm and in attending the district schools. At the age of eighteen years he began attending school at Westfield, Illinois, and later, attended school at Clinton, Indiana. He commenced the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Swaford & Johnson, at new Goshen, Vigo County, Indiana, in the spring of 1868, and after reading one year he attended a course of medical lectures, and taught school the following winter. He prosecuted his studies with occasional interruption until February 28, 1873, when he received his diploma at the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis. In the fall of 1873 he commenced the practice of medicine at Libertyville, Vigo County, and in 1875 removed to Nevins, Illinois, remaining there one season. He then returned to Libertyville, where he continued the practice of his profession until 1880. In that year he removed to New Goshen, and in the spring of 1886 he settled at his present residence on section 27, Clinton Township, Vermillion County. His farm, which contains 115 acres of land, is carried on by a tenant, the doctor giving his entire time to the practice of his profession, in which he is meeting with good success. Dr. Pinson was married July 25, 1874, to Miss Nannie Ward, a native of Fayette Township, Vigo County, Indiana, her father, A. J. Ward, being still a resident of that county. Three children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Pnson, whose names are -- Margaret M., Martha and Ethel May. The doctor was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting first in the six month's service in Company K, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Infantry, and served in East Tennessee under Captain Beauehant. His second enlistment was for one year, in Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Indiana Infantry. Dr. Pinson and his wife are worthy members of the Church of Christ. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to new Goshen Lodge, No. 557.
EDMUND JAMES, one of the old and honored pioneers of Vermillion County, who is now deceased, was born in the State of Virginia, May 30, 1803, a son of Rev. Dr. William James. He became a resi-
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.