Warrick County Townships
Information for this section is taken in part from "An Illustrated Historical Atlas of Warrick County, Indiana" (D.J. Lake & Co., 1880)
One of the original Townships of Warrick County and was named after Baily Anderson who settled there in 1807. Anderson came from Kentucky to Warrick County and stayed until 1817 when he moved to Texas. He served as Associate Judge of the Court of Common Pleas in Warrick County for several years.
The town of Darlington in Anderson Township was the first County Seat of Warrick County. On 6 May 1816 in Court held at Darlington it was ordered that "Anderson Township be sub-divided by a line running through the center of Township No. 6 south of the base line and that portion north of the aforesaid township of Anderson be and the same is hereby ordered to be known as Boon township".
Created in 1816 from Anderson Township. The town of Boonville became the county seat in 1818. The township is said to have been named for Ratliff Boon a noted pioneer and politician of the time.
Named in honor of Thomas Campbell born in 1875 in North Carolina. First going to Kentucky and then to Warrick County in 1813 to Boon Township. After one year he moved into what is now Campbell Township. Thomas Campbell was a county commissioner and member of the Methodist Church. He died 29 August 1840.
Named for Richard Greer who was born in Philiadelphia in 1780. At age three he moved with his parents to North Carolina, then at age 25 to Indiana in what is now Orange County. He came to Warrick County in 1825. The first school in the Township was built in 1830 and Elberfeld was laid out in 1855 on the proposed "Straight Line Railroad".
Named for John Hart, an early settler and Associate Judge of the Circuit Court.
Composed of territory taken from Owen Township and named for General Joseph Lane.
John Sprinkle was the first settler in this Township which receives its name from the Ohio River that is the southern border.
Owen was organized in 1848 and named in honor of Robert Dale Owen. William Gentry, a native of North Carolina located in this Township in 1821, on the land now owned by Marion Folsom. Mathew Gentry also from North Carolina came to this neighborhood in 1822 and settled on the land now owned by L. Hargrave.
Benjamin Lashley came into this neighborhood in 1822. Thomas Larkin, David McNeeley and Gentry Howett were living in the Township previous to the time. James Ashby, a native of Virginia from where he removed to Kentucky and then to Warrick County, locating in what is now Owen Township in 1823 on the land now owned by his son Jackson Ashby. Mr. Ashby had a family of eight children, three of whom are now residents of the County. The first church organization in the Township was by the Baptists who built a log church on the land of John Lashley. Jonathan Floyd, John B. Ford, John Lashley and John King were members of that church. The congregation afterward united with that of Union in Hart Township and built what was known as the Walnut Grove Baptist Church. A log school house was built near the site of the first named church which is supposed to have been the first in the Township. John B. Ford was the teacher of this school.
Named in honor of Judge Zachariah Skelton. In 1809 or 1810 Zachariah removed from Gibson County to Warrick County locating near the village of Taylorville where he remained until 1837 when he moved to land later owned by Squire Johnson.
Edmund Phillips, son of John Phillips and Agnes Gentry was born in Skelton Twp. 1 December 1818. A farmer and store keeper he served as Township Assessor and Appraiser eight years, Township Trustee seven years and a member of the Board of County Commissioners.
The Reed, Hill,Cole and Stephenson families were among the early settlers of Skelton Township. Little Zion Baptist Church is supposed to have been the first church organized in the Township.