BACK

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Aghade Lodge

Source: Altamont Garden Homesite


Images of Aghade

Click on images to enlarge

 
Map of Aghade

Map of Aghade
 
Aghade Lodge

Aghade Bridge

Map of Aghade Lodge
View of Aghade Lodge
All Saints Church (C of I) Aghade, Co. Carlow. (Roger Nowlan)

Aghade Bridge over the River Slaney.

An old house near Aghade bridge.

Aghade crossroads

Aghade; a beautiful viewing spot over the River Slaney, close to the village of Ardattin and an ideal location for sightseeing and fishing..

Brigadier Dominick Andrew Sidney Browne

Brigadier Dominick Andrew Sidney Browne was born on 29 February 1904. He is the son of Dominick Sidney Browne and Elizabeth Naomi Dobell. He married Iris Kathleen Deane, daughter of Gerald Henry Deane, on 24 April 1930. He lived at Aghade Lodge, Kilbridge, County Carlow. in 1976.

Source: http://thepeerage.com/p35989.htm

Aghade, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

 Aghade, a parish, in the barony of Forth, county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (S.) from Tullow, on the river Slaney, and on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry; containing 368 inhabitants. It comprises 1614 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is partly arable and partly pasture; a great portion of the latter is marshy, but might be improved by draining; the state of agriculture is very good. There are quarries of limestone and of a fine species of granite for building. Ballykealy is the residence of J. J. Lecky, Esq.

The living is an impropriate curacy, endowed with two-thirds of the entire tithes, to which the vicarage of Ballon was recently united, and in the diocese of Leighlin and patronage of the Bishop; the remainder of the tithes are impropriate in Lord Downes. It was episcopally united, in 1710, to the rectory of Gilbertstown and the vicarages of Ardristin and Ballon, which union was dissolved in 1830, and divided into three distinct benefices. The tithes amount to 135, of which 45 is payable to the impropriator and 90 to the incumbent; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to 170.

The church, which is pleasantly situated on rising ground above a small stream, is a plain old building in indifferent repair, and is about to be newly roofed, for which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted 591.

There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Ballon and Ratoe, or district of Gilbertstown. There is a school, in which 57 boys are taught.

Aghade National School


Back to Index

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP