BACK

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Ardristan House
Rathvilly. Co. Carlow.

Click on images to enlarge

OS Map of Ardristan (no image of the house)

Ardristan House

ARDRISTIN, a parish From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ARDRISTIN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, l mile (S. W. by W.) from Tullow, on the road to Clonegal; containing 543 inhabitants. It comprises 1525 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; and within its limits is a part of the suburbs of the town of Tullow, called the Green and Tullow-beg. Except one townland entirely surrounded by the parish of Aghade, it is bounded on the east and south-east by the river Slaney. More than one-half of its surface consists of meadow and pasture land; the rest, with the exception of a small tract of bog, is arable. It formerly constituted part of the union of Aghade: the living is now a distinct impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to 145. The ruins of the church, situated on the townland of Ardristin, are divided by a pointed arch and are 63 feet in length. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Tullow.


Back to Index

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP

TOP