Bagnalstown, With Leighlin Bridge, Old Leighlin,
Borris, Royal Oak, Ballyellen, Ballyknockan, Fenagh, Milltown, Nurney,
Paulstown, Tinnehinch and Neighbourhoods
BAGNALSTOWN, or Bagenalstown, is a neat municipal town, in the
parish of DUNLECKNY, East Idrone barony county of Carlow,
situated about two miles south from Leighlin Bridge on the river Burrow.
It has been increasing in population and trade for a number of years and
is now a place of considerable business both in shop trade and that in
corn and flour several large mills are within its neighbourhood. Near
the town are several extensive quarries of granite marble and limestone.
Sessions are held quarterly and petty sessions every third Friday.
Mr. Newton and Mr. Bagenal, the proprietors of the town have greatly
improved it, and many of the erections are very ornamental, especially
the sessions house, with its Ionic portico, and many of the private
houses are in good taste. Ward's is an excellent family and commercial
hotel. The Protestant Episcopal church" is a handsome building, with a
neat pinnacle tower.
The Roman Catholic chapel is also an ornament to the town; and there
is one for Wesleyan Methodists. There are two National schools here, one
of which is conducted by the nuns of the Presentation Convent, and there
are also a Christian Brothers' school and a school for infants. A well
supported fever hospital and a dispensary are additional establishments
in this spirited place. The contiguous mansion of Dunleckny, which has
been modernised, was the ancient seat of the Bagnals or Bagenals, who
settled in this county about the middle of the sixteenth century. Fairs
are held on the second Monday in each month. Population according to the
returns for 1851, 2,256, and in 1861, 2.057.
LEIGHLIN BRIDGE is a small town, partly in the parishes of
AOHA and WELLS, barony of East Idrone, county of Carlow, 7
miles south from Carlow, and was formerly a place of some importance,
but it has gradually declined to a mere village. The navigable river
Barrow flows past it. A stone bridge crosses the river, and at the foot
of it are the fragments of a once considerable castle, which was
dismantled by Cromwell. The country around is very pleasing, fertile,
and well cultivated. The Protestant Episcopal Church occupies a lofty
site, and its tower is a conspicuous object to a great distance. There
is a Roman Catholic Church and a National school. About a mile from the
town is a medicinal spa. A fair is held on the 14th of May. Population
in 1851 was 1,292, and in 1871, 1,245.
BORRIS, or Borris-Idrone, is a village and post town in the
parish of CLONAGOOSE, Lower St. Mullin's barony, County Carlow 71
miles s. from Dublin, and 16 s. From Carlow this place is situated near
the river Barrow on the road to Carlow and New Ross. Borris House the
noble seat of Arthur McMurrough Kavanagh, Esq. Is situated in an
extensive and richly wooded demesne, and commands fine views terminated
on the south-east by imposing views of the Backstairs mountains This
mansion, which is constructed in the English baronial style of the
sixteenth century, has been for ages the chief residence of the
descendants of Donald Kavanagh, son of McMurrough, last king of
Leinster. Attached to it is a very handsome private chapel, erected by
the late Mr. Kavanagh, and open to the inhabitants of the town and
neighbourhood. The Roman Catholic church is a handsome edifice, erected
at an expense of £2,000.
There is a school, in which children of both sexes are taught, a
commodious building, erected and fitted up by local contributions
amounting to £274, and a grant of £97, from the National Board. Petty
sessions are held every third Thursday, and road sessions occasionally;
there is also a constabulary station. Fairs are held on the following
days: January 1st, February 5th, March 25th, May 1st, June 1st, July
2nd, August 15th, September 7th, October 4th, November 14th, and
December 4th. The population in 1851 was 720, and in 1861, 879.
OLD LEIGHLIN is a parish in the barony of Idrone West, 1 1/2
miles s.s.w. of Leighlin Bridge. It sent two members to Parliament
before the Union, and is the seat of a diocese, founded in 632; it was
joined to Ferns in 1600, and to Ossory in 1836. The church or cathedral
was built or founded in 1185, and is in the plainest style of Gothic
Architecture. Although once a place of some consequence, it could only
boast in 1861 of 126 inhabitants,.
ROYAL OAK is a small village, in the parish of KILLINANE,
barony of Idrone West, county of Carlow, one mile from Bagnalstown, and
the same distance from Leighlin Bridge, situated on the river Barrow,
and on the road from Dublin to Carlow. The name of the place is derived
from that of an old and well -known inn in the vicinity, which was
established previously to the erection of the village. The population in
1861 was 107.
POST OFFICE, BAGNALSTOWN, James Byrnes, Post Master.—Letters
arrive from Dublin, quarter past eleven morning, and at half-past twelve
midnight, and from Kilkenny and Waterford at a quarter-past three
afternoon, and are despatched to Kilkenny and Waterford at half-past ten
morning, to Dublin, &c. at a quarter before three afternoon and at a
quarter before twelve night. Money Order and Telegraph Office and
BORRIS, Patrick Kinsella, Post Master letters arrive from all
parts arrive at five minutes past six morning and a quarter to twelve
noon, and are despatched at ten minutes past two afternoon and
twenty-five minutes past seven evening. Money Order and Telegraph Office
and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Leighlin
Bridge, William Hargreaves, post Master arrive from all parts
via Bagnalstown at seven morning and at one afternoon, and are
despatched thereto at half-past one afternoon and at ten minutes to
eight evening. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.