INDEX
 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Slaters Directory of 1881
Bagenalstown

Co Carlow


Extracts from Slater's Directory of Ireland 1881

(Thank you to Terry Curran for transcribing this  material)


Bagenalstown - Leighlin Bridge, Old Leighlin, Borris, Royal Oak, Ballyellen, Ballyknockan, Fenagh, Milltown, Nurney, Paulstown, Tinnehinch & Neighbourhoods

BAGNALSTOWN, or Bagenalstown, is a neat municipal town, in the parish of DUNLECKNY, East Idrone barony county of Carlow, situated about two miles south from Leighlin Bridge on the river Burrow. It has been increasing in population and trade for a number of years and is now a place of considerable business both in shop trade and that in corn and flour several large mills are within its neighbourhood. Near the town are several extensive quarries of granite marble and limestone.

Sessions are held quarterly and petty sessions every third Friday. Mr. Newton and Mr. Bagenal, the proprietors of the town have greatly improved it, and many of the erections are very ornamental, especially the sessions house, with its Ionic portico, and many of the private houses are in good taste. Ward's is an excellent family and commercial hotel. The Protestant Episcopal church" is a handsome building, with a neat pinnacle tower.

The Roman Catholic chapel is also an ornament to the town; and there is one for Wesleyan Methodists. There are two National schools here, one of which is conducted by the nuns of the Presentation Convent, and there are also a Christian Brothers' school and a school for infants. A well supported fever hospital and a dispensary are additional establishments in this spirited place. The contiguous mansion of Dunleckny, which has been modernised, was the ancient seat of the Bagnals or Bagenals, who settled in this county about the middle of the sixteenth century. Fairs are held on the second Monday in each month. Population according to the returns for 1861, 2,055, and in 1871, 2,309.

LEIGHLIN BRIDGE is a small town, partly in the parishes of AOHA and WELLS, barony of East Idrone, county of Carlow, 7 miles south from Carlow, and was formerly a place of some importance, but it has gradually declined to a mere village. The navigable river Barrow flows past it. A stone bridge crosses the river, and at the foot of it are the fragments of a once considerable castle, which was dismantled by Cromwell. The country around is very pleasing, fertile, and well cultivated. The Protestant Episcopal Church occupies a lofty site, and its tower is a conspicuous object to a great distance. There is a Roman Catholic Church and a National school. About a mile from the town is a medicinal spa. A fair is held on the 14th of May. Population in 1861 was 1,245, and in 1871 1,066

BORRIS, or Borris-Idrone, is a village and post town in the parish of CLONAGOOSE, Lower St. Mullin's barony, County Carlow 71 miles s. from Dublin, and 16 s. From Carlow this place is situated near the river Barrow on the road to Carlow and New Ross. Borris House the noble seat of Arthur McMurrough Kavanagh, Esq. Is situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne, and commands fine views terminated on the south-east by imposing views of the Backstairs mountains This mansion, which is constructed in the English baronial style of the sixteenth century, has been for ages the chief residence of the descendants of Donald Kavanagh, son of McMurrough, last king of Leinster. Attached to it is a very handsome private chapel, erected by the late Mr. Kavanagh, and open to the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood. The Roman Catholic church is a handsome edifice, erected at an expense of £2,000.

There is a school, in which children of both sexes are taught, a commodious building, erected and fitted up by local contributions amounting to £274, and a grant of £97, from the National Board. Petty sessions are held every third Thursday, and road sessions occasionally; there is also a constabulary station. Fairs are held on the following days: January 1st, February 5th, March 25th, May 1st, June 1st, July 2nd, August 15th, September 7th, October 4th, November 14th, and December 4th. The population in 1861 was 879, and in 1871, 601.

OLD LEIGHLIN is a parish in the barony of Idrone West, 1 1/2 miles s.s.w. of Leighlin Bridge. It sent two members to Parliament before the Union, and is the seat of a diocese, founded in 632; it was joined to Ferns in 1600, and to Ossory in 1836. The church or cathedral was built or founded in 1185, and is in the plainest style of Gothic Architecture. Although once a place of some consequence, it could only boast in 1861 of 126 inhabitants, and in 1871, 181.

ROYAL OAK is a small village, in the parish of KILLINANE, barony of Idrone West, county of Carlow, one mile from Bagnalstown, and the same distance from Leighlin Bridge, situated on the river Barrow, and on the road from Dublin to Carlow. The name of the place is derived from that of an old and well -known inn in the vicinity, which was established previously to the erection of the village. The population in 1861 was 107, and in 1871, 122..

POST OFFICE

BAGNALSTOWN, John Murray, Post Master.óLetters arrive from Dublin, quarter past eleven morning, and at half-past twelve midnight, and from Kilkenny and Waterford at a quarter-past three afternoon, and are despatched to Kilkenny and Waterford at half-past ten morning, to Dublin, &c. at a quarter before three afternoon and at a quarter before twelve night. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank Post Office.

BORRIS, James Devine, Post Master letters arrive from all parts arrive at five minutes past six morning and a quarter to twelve noon, and are despatched at ten minutes past two afternoon and twenty-five minutes past seven evening. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

LEIGHLIN BRIDGE, William Hargreaves, post Master arrive from all parts via Bagnalstown at seven morning and at one afternoon, and are despatched thereto at half-past one afternoon and at ten minutes to eight evening. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.


GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Abbott Rev. J. W. Old Leighlin Kelly Rev. John, Borris
Alexander George, Esq. j.p. Rathvinden, Kelly Rev. Thomas, Borris
Leighlin Bridge Morrin the Very Rev. Patrick, P.P. Bagnalstown
Alexander John, Esq. Millford House Newton Captain Philip Charles, J.P.
Bathe John Innis, Esq. Leighlin Bridge Mount Leinster, Borris 
Beresford Denis W.P.Esq., j.p., D.L , Fenagh Lodge Newton Philip J. Esq , J.P., D.L. Dunleckley
Bourke Rev. Richard, Bagnalstown Ormsby Rev. Watson Ring, A.B. Borris
Brady John C. Esq., j.p., Myshall Persee Captain Walter, J.P. Bagnalstown Hse
Carey Rev. Patrick, P.P., Borris Pownall Rev. Dr.   - Shankhill
Crosthwaite Samuel, Esq., The Lodge, Stewart Mrs. Elizabeth D. Stewart's Lodge, Leighlin Bridge
Bagnalstown  Stopford the Hon. Edward Sydney JP Borris
Dunny Rev. J. Leighlin Bridge Sweetman Michael Fitzhenry, Esq. j.p. Connellan, Borria I Fenagh
Finlay Rev John, Lorum  Vesey William Muschamp, Esq., J.P.
Flood William, Esq., J.P., Paulstown Castle Vigors Major John Cliffe, J.P. Burgage,
Grogan Rev Charles James, M.A Dunleckley Leighlin Bridge 
Kavanagh Arthur Mc Morrough Esq JP Borris House Borris Watson Robert, Esq. Ballydarton, Fenagh
Kavanagh Rev. Edward, Bagnalstown  Weir Rev. William, Nurney 
Kavanagh Walter, Esq, J.P- Borris House, Borris Willcocks Rev. William S. Bagnalstown
Kirwan Rev. James, Bagnalstown Wyer Rev. J. P., P.P. Leighlin Bridge
Keating John, Esq. Bagnalstown  

Next Page


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP