BACK

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Ballydarton House

Carlow


Ballydarton House c.1999
Ballydarton House
Ballydarton map c.1836

This is a detached two-storey Tudor Revival country house with half-dormer attic, built c.1830, with three-stage battlemented tower to centre on a square plan, cut stone dressings including mullioned bay and oriel windows, gables, polygonal turret and service wing to side. Designed by Daniel Robertson. Stable complex to side.

Source: Buildings of Ireland, / National Inventory of Architectural Heritage website

Samuel Watson (1714 - 1784) was the first of the family to live at Ballydarton, between Fenagh and Leighlinbridge. In 1808, Samuel's grandson John Henry Watson became Master and co-founder of the Tullow Hunt. As Jimmy O'Toole has noted in his book, 'The Carlow Gentry', this marked the beginning of the legendary Watson association with hunting not just in Carlow, but also in County Meath, the Cotswold's and Australia. John Henry Watson was Myra Bunbury's grandfather. Her uncle George Watson moved to Australia in 1850 where he became known as the "Prince of Starters" at the race courses of Victoria as well as Master of the Melbourne Hunt. (b) Another uncle William Watson was Master of the Cotswolds.

Source: Turtle Bunbury website www.turtlebunbury.com

Back to Index

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP

TOP