INDEX

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Barrack Street

Source: Carloman. c2004


Barrack Street c.2009

Barrack Street is in an area of Carlow known locally as 'The Top of the Town'.  At one end there used to be a Military Barracks (now demolished) and off this street is Little Barrack Street also known as "Gallipot". There is a Retired Persons home on the site now. I have recently been told that there exists a deed which indicates that the site of the barracks in Carlow town was purchased in 1781 on an annual lease of 30 "forever" the site was 3.5 acres.

Barrack Street runs between The Shamrock on the north side of the town to the junction with Burrin Street and Kilkenny Road on the south side.

The following is an article from the Carlow Nationalist newspaper of Christmas Eve 2003.

"Change is inevitable but it's so difficult to imagine what Little Barrack Street was like in the 1940s. Annie Parker-Byrne, who now lives in No. 3, remembers playing Cowboys and Indians in Johnny Power's field with the Conville's, the Fenlon's and the Murphy's. The young children would hide caps in the hedges and have bonfires or "camps" where they'd roast potatoes. Some of the boys would even catch trout in the river and roast them over the campfire.

A row of 15 single-storey cottages, with a cobbled stone pathway running alongside stood outside the high wall of the old British Military Barracks, which later became the Sacred Heart Home (now Crosbie Place). Inside the narrow doorway of each cottage there was a kitchen and a beautiful high ceiling. Apart from the kitchen, the cottages consisted of two bedrooms and a loft. Some families used the loft as a bedroom, even though it was impossible to stand up straight.

Annie is passionate about Little Barrack Street, it is no surprise that she fought to preserve the unique streetscape, of the cobble stone pathway and single-storey cottages. Annie's father, Robert (Bobbie) was reared in No.10 and married Peg Dargan. Bobbie was in the British Army for the Second World War, but he contracted a rare disease of the heart and malaria while abroad.

When Bobbie Parker came home from the army he drove Carpenter's hearse for a few years. Annie remembers the last time he drove the hearse, was when Mrs Carpenter died. Sadly, within six weeks of this, Bobbie died at the tender age of 33.

Annie has many fond memories of her childhood, growing up in Little Barrack Street. She remembers picking blackberries with the other children up the Burrin and going down to "Wattie Kehoe's" in Pembroke to sell them. "We'd sell the blackberries for money and we'd give our parents some of it, which they'd buy food with and we'd always have the price of a comic or the pictures." (pictures = Cinema, PP)

Girls Crystal, The Beano, and The Dandy were some of the comics which Annie enjoyed reading. Perhaps, this is where some of the inspiration for "divilment" among the young children in Little Barrack Street came from. One man who kept a close eye on this behaviour was Guard Kelly (a member of the Irish Police force, PP), who lived in Barrack Street.

We used to play handball against the high wall of the County Home (the former Military Barracks, PP).  Guard Kelly, who lived across the road... when we'd see him coming home on the bicycle we used have to run...Annie remembers how they'd encounter Guard Kelly later in the school in Tullow Street (he was also the school attendance officer) and regret their mischief, knowing that they weren't supposed to be playing handball on the road.

"He'd be sitting there with the roll and if people... youngsters were missing from school he'd call them up to know why were they missing. And then maybe he'd say 'you were playing football on the street the other day, don't let me catch you,' or 'you were playing handball'..."

The youngsters found their own way to get back at Guard Kelly, or at least his wife, Mrs Kelly. "We were divils," says Annie. She remembers how they used to tie a thread to the door handle of Guard Kelly's house. "We'd go across under the trees with a spool of thread and rap the door."

But they were always cute and made sure they only played the trick when Guard Kelly wasn't home. They picked out certain people to torment, another was poor old Tommy Finnegan.

The Fairgreen (where the shopping centre is now) (and the old Military barracks was, PP),  was a "great place" of intrigue for young children in Paupish. The town dump was situated there, and all sorts of oddments, like old bicycle frames could be found there. Annie and her friends learned to ride a bicycle, by assembling one themselves and riding it up and down the road, without even a saddle.

"You could find a frame of a bicycle and two wheels somewhere else, and you could attach the frame and two wheels together with wire... we used to cycle down the street on these."

Source: Carloman. c2004


According to PIGOT and Co.'s Provincial Directory of 1824. - There was Lady Benjamin. who had a Flour Factor in Barrack Street and a Thomas Kirwin who was a Tailor in Barrack St


Images of Barrack Street
by W. Muldowney c.2006
Carpenters Bar on Barrack Street c.2006
This is where all the farmers, drovers and buyers went drinking and dealing on a fair day in Carlow. It was the nearest public house to the fair green
Entrance to Tesco's and the new shopping centre from Barrack Street c.2006
Fair Green shopping centre, Carlow. 
Little Barrack Street c.2006
 
The old School House on Barrack Street.
Source: Google Maps
Barrack Street
Source: Google Maps
Carpenters Pub in Barrack Street.
Note: Funeral Home, Off Licence and Pub all in the same name and the same building.
Source: Google Maps

Barrack Street c.1842
Source: OSi Mapviewer

Bethany House.
(Sacred Heart Home)
Barrack Street c.2009
     


This is my great great grandmother Mary Timmons who lived at number 12 Barrack Street. She was married to Patrick O'Neill and they had two children; Kathleen and James. Does anyone have any information about the Timmons family would love to know more about the rest of the family.
Source Margaret Sayle

 
The old Carlow Barracks (c1966)
The old Carlow Barracks (c1966) which used to stand at the end of  Barrack Street.
(The car in the picture above is a Triumph Herald)

The  picture  is of the south wing of the old barracks in Barrack Street. The infamous 1798 Court Martial trials took place in this section of the barrack building, prisoners were executed in the front yard. In 1922, following the withdrawal of the British Army, the newly established Irish Free State Army took over the building. Later it was discovered that the building was too small to accommodate the 500 soldiers stationed in Carlow. In February 1923, the army decided to moved to the Old Union Workhouse on the Kilkenny Road, which is on the south side of the town, and the inmates of the workhouse were moved in Crossley Tenders (see photo above) to the barracks. The barracks was renamed the Sacred Heart Home but later became known as the County Home and was administered as a Home for the Elderly by the Mercy nuns. I have recently been told that there exists a deed which indicates that the site of the barracks in Carlow town was purchased in 1781 on an annual lease of 30 "forever" the site was 3.5 acres. The building is now demolished and a  Retired Persons home has been built on the site now.

Source: Carlow in Old Picture Postcards by Michael Purcell.

 

G-boat being transported through Barrack Street, Carlow from Thompson Engineering.

Source: NEWSLETTER OF THE INLAND WATERWAYS ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

 
  NEXT Bernard's Lane 
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved 

TOP