Search billions of records on


Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Barrow Milling Company


Barrow Milling Company

 Barrow Mills Buildings prior to demolition. Photo Dan Carbery
Barrow Milling Company advert.
[photo: Dan Carbery]

These mills were situated alongside the canal lock and weir on the river Barrow in Carlow town. They were formerly Shackletons Mills and had closed down before the mills were reopened again in the 1930ís.

 There was a millrace stream supplied from the river which drove a large wheel for power. This continued to supply some of the power but by the reopening the electricity supply from the Shannon Scheme through the ESB network (Electricity Supply Board ) was supplying most of the power requirements. The Grand Canal boats continued to service the mills. One of the owners of the mill was Michael Wall a local business man who also owned Clogrennane Limeworks. Two managers I can recall were Mr. O Flynn and Mr O Hanlon. In latter years Mr. Jack Fleming was the manager.

The mills produced top quality flour, bran and pollard. Large timber bulk silos were constructed in 1950ís to store the grain and were covered on the outside with corrugated asbestos sheeting manufactured in Athy.

Source: Excerpts from the Carlow County Museum submitted by Dan Carbery.

Bishop Cullen and Minister Lemass at opening of Barrlow Mills on 21st Jan. 1935
Pictured at the re-opening of The Barrow Mills in Graiguecullen on January 21st 1935.

Opening of Barrow Mills 1935.
The Barrow Mills had been closed since 1927 following a court action by Mr Shackelton against the Sugar Factory.
Centre picture, Bishop Cullen, on his left is Father Fogarty, P.P., on his right Fr. Peader Mac Suibhne with Fr. Campion behind him.
 Source: Michael Purcell and Picture in the PPP.

 [ PREVIOUS ] [ By The Banks of the Barrow ]

Please report any images or broken links which do not open to

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow IGP TM