BACK

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Bennekerry.

(BINN an CHOIRE)

Co Carlow


Bennekerry House

Bennykerry HouseDetached seven-bay two-storey over basement house with dormer attic, c. 1700, with hipped roof. Renovated, c. 1840, with rusticated granite porch and flanking Tuscan screens added and interior partly remodelled. Extended to side, c. 1978, comprising four-bay single-storey range. Interior retains timber panelled hall and staircase.

Source: The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage

An OSi Map of Bennekerry House

Representative view

Bennekerry House was inhabited by the Newton family since 1702 when Bryan Newton obtained a lease of it from Bishop Vigors who held it. The Newton family came to Ireland with William III from Lancashire. In 1785 Colonel Philip Newton of Bennekerry married Sarah Westrop Bagenal, sister of Walter Bagenal above-mentioned, and their son, Philip Newton adopted the name Bagenal. Hence it was that the name Bagenal carried on in Bennekerry until 1936 when the property was sold to its present occupant Mr. S. Roche.

Leaving Castle Hill and walking to the left extremity of our triangle we reach Bennekerry House. This in Dineley's time belonged to William Ewers, Esq., but I have been unable to find any reference to this individual. Bennekerry is of interest to us in being at one time the residence of Walter Bagenal, the last male heir of the Bagenal family. Walter Bagenal died in Staplestown in 1814 and is buried in the local Church. A monument erected to his memory by his widow Elizabeth, and daughter Maria, can still be seen in the church. The monument was probably erected when the new church was built in 1821, or else it was removed from the old church.


A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, by Samuel Lewis. 1837

Benekerry or Busherstown

BENEKERRY, otherwise BUSHERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY (but locally in that of Carlow), county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Carlow; containing 135 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Carlow to Tullow, and is bounded on the south-west and east by the river Burren: more than four-fifths consists of meadow and pasture land, and the remainder is arable, with a few acres of woodland. In the ecclesiastical divisions it is not regarded as a parish, but as forming part of that of Urglin, the incumbent of which receives the tithes, except of about ten acres, which pay tithe to the incumbent of Ballinacarrig or Staplestown.

Source: http://www.libraryireland.com


Images of Bennekerry

Bennekerry NS
The old Bennekerry NS

An OSi Map of Bennekerry Church & School
St. Mary’s Church Bennekerry

St. Mary’s Church Bennekerry


Saint Mary Churchyard Bennekerry, County Carlow, Ireland

Listing of burials in this cemetery:- http://interment.net/data/ireland/carlow/stmary_benn/index.htm


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP