INDEX

 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Extracts from Slater's Directory of Ireland 1894
Borris & Ballon, Co Carlow

Borris & Ballon, Co Carlow

BORRIS (or BORHIS-IDRONE) is a village in the parish of Clonygoose, Lower St. Mullin's barony, co. Carlow, head of a petty sessional division and of a dispensary district in the union of Carlow, Protestant diocese of Leighlin, Catholic diocese of Kildare, with a station on the Great Southern and Western and the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford railways, 71 miles south from Dublin and 16 south from Carlow, situated near the river Barrow, on the road from Carlow to New Ross.

Borris House, the noble seat of Wralter M'Morrough Kavanagh Esq. is situated in an extensive and richly-wooded demesne, and commands fine views, terminated on the south-east by the imposing range of the Black stairs mountains: this mansion, which is constructed in the English baronial style of the 16th century, has been for ages the chief residence of the descendants of Donald Kavanagh, son of M'Murrough, last king of Leinster.

Attached to it is a private chapel, erected by the late Mr. Kavanagh, and open to the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood The Catholic church is a handsome edifice erected at an expense of £2,000. There is a school, in which the children of both sexes are taught, a commodious building, erected and fitted up by local contributions and a grant from the National Board.

Fairs are held on the following days :—January 1st, February 5th, March 25th, May 1st, June 1st,July 2nd, August 15th, September 7th, October 5th, November 14th and December 4th. The area comprises 41 acres; the population in 1891 was 518.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEORAPH OFFICE & SAVINGS BANK (Railway Sub-Office, Letters should have R.S.O. co. Carlow added).—James Devine, postmaster. Letters arrive at 5.30 & 9-45 a.m. & are dispatched at 3.45 & 7.10 pm

BALLON is a small village and parish, co. Carlow, barony of Forth and union of Carlow, Protestant diocese of Leighlin, Catholic diocese of Kildare, from which town it is about 10 miles south-east and 5 south-west from Tullow terminal station on the Great Southern and Western railway, containing 19 townlands. The area of the parish comprises 3,697 acres; the population in 1891 was 731: the area of the village comprises 7 acres; the population in 1891 was 118.

POST OFFICE, Mary Doran, postmistress, Letters through Tullow R.S.O. Co. Carlow, arrives at 7.30 a.m. & is dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tullow & the nearest telegraph office is at Fenagh Constabulary Station, Hubert Hoyden, sergeant CATHOLIC CHURCH—Rev. Patrick F. Nolan p.p.; Rev. Patrick Quinlan c.c Catholic School, Stephen Hutton, master; Margaret Hoey, mistress


Borris - Slaters 1894  
   
MAGISTRATES. Private Residents.
Robert B. Carey M.D Beauchamp Rev. Jn. p.p. Parochial house
Walter McMorrough Kavanagh, Borris house Carey Richard B. J .P
Patrick Maher, Ballyellen Gibney Thomas, Kensington lodge
Michael F. Sweetman, Connellen Hartley Rev. William, The Rectory
Richard R. Burtchall, Brandondale Kavanagh Walter McMorrough D.L. Borris House
Graigue, Nomanagh, Kilkenny Maher Patrick J.P. Ballyellen
Captain Philip C. Newton, Mount Leinster Murray Rev. John c.c
Hon. Edward Sydney Stopford Newton Captain Philip C. J.P. Mount Leinster
Clerk, James Devine Rourke Rev. Daniel c.c
  Stopford the Hon. Edward Sydney J.P
******* Sweetman Michael. Fitzhenry J. P. Connellan
  Wilson Mrs. Hill, Stephouse
Court HousePetty sessions are held
 every fourth Wednesday Commercial.
Dispensary Medical Officer & Registrar, Butler William, blacksmith
Richard B. Carey L.R.C.P. & S.I Carey Richard B. L.R.C.P. & S.I. physician & surgeon
  Curry James, druggist & grocer
The Petty Sessional district comprises 44,148 acres, containing 106 Townlands the population in 1891 was 7,3O3 Dalton James, grocer
  Deegan Thomas, provision dealer
Constabulary Barracks, Thomas Egan, sergeant in charge Devine Thomas, cess collector for Barony of Lower St. Mullins
CHURCH OF IRELAND Doran John, boot maker
Rev. Thomas Hartley B.A. rector Doyle Eliza, grocer
CATHOLIC Flood James, grocer
Rev. John Beauchamp P.P. ; Flood James, hardware dealer
Rev. John Murray c.c. Keating Edward, boot maker
Rev. Daniel Rourke  c.c Kennedy James, grocer & hardware Dealer
__________________________________ Kelly Bridget, grocer
NATIONAL SCHOOLS Kelly Denis, boot maker
Mary Ann Reburn, mistress Kelly Eliza, grocer & hardware dealer
Edward Lennon, master;  Kelly Mary & Ann, drapers .& provisions dealer
Eliza Doyle, mistress Maher Esther, grocer
  Maloney Edward, glass & china dealer
Railway Station, - Wm. Ryan, station mast Millet Patrick, coach builder & draper
  Moloney Eliza, grocer & draper
  Murphy Patrick, miller
  Nolan Michael, saddler & harness maker
  Phelan Susan, grocer & hardware dealer
  Ryan John, tailor
  Stokes Catherine, draper & provision dealer

Ballon - Slaters 1894  
   
Private Residents. Commercial.
Browne Mrs. Clayton, Sandbrook  
Browne Robt. Clayton, Sandbrook park Brennan Thomas, blacksmith
Nolan Rev. P. H. P.P Donohoe Thomas, provision dealer
Quinlan Rev. Patrick c.c. Sandbrook Doyle Michael, beer retailer
  Doyle Thomas, baker
  Harman John, shoe maker
  Kelly Martin, cooper
  Leggett Alexander, cooper
  Nolan Edward, grocer & spirit dealer
  Nolan Edward, public house
  Nolan Richard, shoe maker

Transcribed by Terry Curran c2008

O'Neill Patrick, public house

Next Page - Clonmore & Clonegal

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP