RAILWAY INDEX
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Borris Railway Station,

Co. Carlow


Borris Railway Station
Borris Railway Station c.1900
Borris Railway Station

Image source: eBay seller & Carlow Library

The town prospered in the late 1800s as Arthur MacMorrough Kavanagh, the landlord of the time, developed a sawmill and a thriving lace-making industry. He also instigated the building of the graceful 16-arch viaduct, situated at the lower end of the town, which was intended to carry the now defunct Great Southern and Western Railway line between Bagenalstown and Wexford. Borris railway station opened on 20th December 1858, closed for passenger traffic on 2nd February 1931 and for goods traffic on 27th January 1947, finally closing altogether on 1st April 1963

Source: Wikipedia.

Sixteen-arch limestone built former railway viaduct, c. 1860. Now closed. Designed by William le Fanu.
Source: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Detached three-bay single-storey granite built former station master's house, c.1858, with gabled projecting bay and cut stone dressings including hood mouldings to openings. Closed, c.1963. Now in private residential use.
Source: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Train crossing viaduct. Photo courtesy of Carloviana.
Source: The Bagenalstown & Wexford Railway Revisited. J. M. Feeley & J. Sheehan
Borris Railway Ticket Office.
Source: The Bagenalstown & Wexford Railway Revisited. J. M. Feeley & J. Sheehan

Borris Railway Station c.1960
Source: eBay seller.

1962. Carlow. Borris Railroad Station

Carlow Railway Station


Borris Index

[ Borris ] [ Borris Images ] [ Saw Mill Bridge ] [ Borris House ] [ Michael O'Shea ] [ Succession of Pastors ]

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM

Back to the top