- 1st Carlow Company of The Boy’s Brigade
On the steps of Saint Mary’s Church the
1st Carlow Company of The Boy’s Brigade pose in uniform with fake
rifles at the ready. The Rev. J. Kellett, Chaplin, and Rev. S.
Ridgeway, President, are seated in the second row. The Boy’s Brigade
was founded in 1883 in Scotland. The movement instilled religion and
discipline through activities such as evening classes, first aid,
sport, drill, camping, music, etc. This group pictured in 1913 were
all members of the Church of Ireland community.
- 1st Carlow Company Boy’s Brigade 1925.
Most of those pictured were
members of the Church of Ireland community. Many Carlovians will
recognize Dick Walsh (marked x) of Burrin Street, who at the time of
writing is still alive and active. The Brigade practised first aid,
drill, camping and sports; this group were the winners of the
1924-1925 Ossory Flag.
Back row: R. Parker, R. Lewis, S.
Newell, C. Henery, C. Morris, O. Purser, R. Collier, R. Walsh and N.
Yarnell. Second row. Lt. Corporal T. Newell, D. Newell, Lt. Corporal
J. Yeats, F. Williams, F. Yarnell and Sgt. J.H. Beard. Sitting: Rev.
J. Charters (Chaplin) R.E. Shackleton (Capt.), Canon S. Ridgeway
(President), Lieut. F. Wright and Staff Sgt. G Alcock.
Source: Carlow in Old
Picture Postcards (1994), & Carlow in Old Postcards Vol. 3 by Michael
Please report any links or images which do not open to
- The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with
others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
IGP TM By
Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved