INDEX
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Bridewell Lane c.1940

Source: Friends and Neighbours 1986 & Michael Purcell c2008


Bridewell Lane c.1959.
The boy on the bike is a brother of Willie Ellis from Burrin Street. (MP).
Photo by Donald Godfrey
Source: Carloviana Vol 2. No. 23 Dec 1974 p.32
Bridewell lane c.1959 supplied by County Carlow, Source: Facebook page.

Bridewell lane about 1959.
From Terry Curran

Bridewell Lane also had the nickname of 'Dardenelles' and formerly known as Somers Lane and Hanover.


 
 Group of residents from Bridewell Lane/Brewery Lane 1917:

BACK ROW, L to R: Patsy Whelan, Winnie Grant, Jim Mulhall, Paddy Quigley, Jim Hayden, Luke Redmond, Jim 'Giblets' Doyle, Ned Moran, Jim Geoghegan, Billy Doyle, Tom Moran, Jackie Lawlor, Molly Nolan, Nan Fitzgerald, 'Drakes' Walker, Joe Mulhall.

MIDDLE ROW, L to R: Bridie Geoghegan, Mary Ann (Finch) Mulhall, Baby Ducie, Marie Geoghegan, Nellie Williamson, Poll and Winnie Trodden, Molly Trodden, Jim 'Sapper' Grant, Cis Hayden, Liz Hayden, Liz Corcoran, Bridie Geoghegan, Nan Shaw, Nellie Quigley, Mrs. Whelan, Fan Doyle, Bridie O'Neill, Bill Geoghegan.

FRONT ROW, L to R: Kitty Doyle, 'Mamie' Fitzgerald, Kitty Mulhall, Molly Shaw, Margaret Doyle, Maggie Corcoran, Molly Coffey, Nancy Geoghegan, Paddy Corcoran, Lilly Nolan, Eddie Nolan, Annie Doyle, Bridie Wyles, Katie Hayden, Ellen Connors.

Photograph courtesy of Nan Shaw.


This picture was presented to me some years ago by a member of the Walker family.... on the back it reads - Tom Walker, Tom Mulhall, Jim Williamson, Johnny Mulhall pictured in Aunt Julia's garden in Bridewell Lane.
Source of photograph was Michael Purcell March 2013

Bridewell Lane


OSi Map c.1900
The entrance to Bridewell Street from Burrin Street.
 (Photo W. Muldowney c.2006)

ONE of the oldest streets of Carlow is Bridewell Lane, known as Somers or Sommers Lane in the early 1700's. The name was later changed, calling the lane after the Old Bridewell Gaol.

The last look at freedom many prisoners had was as they left the Courthouse at the Deighton Hall and were led down the lane to the old gaol.

Running east to west parallel with Tullow Street to its north and the river Burrin to the south. Bridewell Lane comprised of both single and two storey houses. Its whitewashed houses gleamed brightly, a fact that concerned their occupants one night during World War 2. A squadron of German planes having strayed off course in the darkness passed over Carlow and it was feared by many that the brightness would cause the lane to be bombed.

It reared a people known for their community spirit, people who cared not for themselves but for their neighbours and especially those less well off. Stories such as when the 'Cruelty man', as he was known, visited the lane, he was never allowed to see a house that lacked anything. When he was on his way all the neighbours came together and loaned their possessions for the duration of his visit. When a death occurred a collection was started spontaneously, many people gave and left themselves short in order to help out.

Little Italy

It was a lane rich in music, known to some as 'Little Italy' for its music, song and dance. Whatever time day or night you passed you could be sure to see somebody playing their instrument, be it Bill Geoghegan on the flute or tin whistle, Decker Dwyer on the concertina, Tom Mulhall on the mouth organ or singing The Old House'. The Hayden’s with the banjo were also great singers, and Annie Phelan with the Jews harp. When a hornpipe was called for Tom Duice was the man, Tom was known to borrow the window shutters from Jim Shaw's house upon which he performed his dance. When you wanted to rise early, even at four or five in the morning, you made sure to tell Neddy Woods the night before. Neddy it is said, never slept at night and could be relied upon every day of the year.

The children of the lane never knew boredom, for the many games they played occupied most of their time. Games like Peggys leg, spinning the top using a stick and silver paper, taws or marbles, pitch the cards, throwing rings and skipping. Handball was played in the haggard. Rounder's and football were played in Potato Market, the balls were made from cleaned out pigs bladders, from Byrne's Bacon yard. Also popular was racing bicycle or old pram wheels around by Careys, the haggard and Kennedys. During the summer months the children went down to the horseshoe in the 'Old Burrin' where Mick Murphy from Brewery Lane was sure to be found, Mick was reckoned to be the best underwater swimmer in the town.

Captain Thomas's on the Kilkenny Road was visited regularly, both to collect bamboo canes for fishing rods and bluebells for the May altar, primroses were gathered from Major Kerr's and the Bird House.

For those old enough to stay up at wakes, a watchful eye was kept on the adults. - Those who dozed off for a few minutes received a dab of boot polish high on their cheek, so that when they woke and rubbed their face, the polish spread all over so everybody knew who had dozed off.

Lennon's Sawmills, Strawhall was where the sawdust was collected, it was brought home and packed into a drum, a fire was lit underneath it, and by this means water was boiled for washing clothes.  Coke from the gas works and sticks from as far out as Cloghna were collected each week to be used on the big open fires.

The whitewash for the houses came from two places, either lump lime brought from 'Comer and sold at 2d a bucket not crushed, or Mary Doran's, Castlehill, 3d a bucket ready to use.

Many will remember Jackmans from Tullow calling to the lane each Friday with his Dublin Bay herrings, Id for three.

Going to Slaters cinema was a popular pastime, variety shows and plays were also staged here. It had two shows, the 1st house and the 2nd house almost every night and there were many from the lane there each night watching their idols fighting it out on the screen. The Sunday serials were followed with baited breath, but to get in you had to survive the 'fourpenny rush' to the pits.

The long hot summers of yesteryear brought out the 'watering can', a horse drawn vehicle which sprayed water on the roads to keep the dust down, it was closely followed by the kids who ran barefoot behind it to cool themselves. The winter of '47 brought snow, the likes of which was never seen in Carlow since, there was still some around in June. After the thaw the River Burrin burst its banks and knocked the walls at the back of both Jim Shaw's house in Bridewell Lane and Dr. Doyle's (Slococks) at the far side.

When Christmas time came each year, every available man and woman worked in Slater's Fowl Yard and in the later years Wattie Kehoe's, Pembroke plucking turkeys, geese and other fowl. The men killed the cock turkeys and the women killed the hens. A days work often finished here at 1 or 2 a.m.

True Spirit of Christmas

The houses were not decorated with fancy or expensive decorations. Holly with its red berries covered the houses and the true spirit of Christmas was alive. The Christmas puddings were hung from the ceilings and taken down on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning many went to first Mass, 7 a.m. in the Presentation and 7.30 a.m. in the Cathedral, after dinner a visit to the cribs in all the Churches was made and prayers were offered at each one. All through this season a candle was lit in the windows for the lonely traveller.

1932 was a special year for both Bridewell Lane and Brewery Lane, a tremendous effort was made by the people to celebrate the Eucharistic Congress. Every house was given a fresh coat of whitewash and decorated, banners hung from windows and candles flickered all the way along. Crowds flocked to view the spectacle, so much so that it was only possible to enter the lane by Burrin Street and be carried along by the sway of the crowd to Potato Market end.

Finally, in the 1960's two lanes in Carlow town, which had existed for hundreds of years were raised to the ground. Such is the price of progress. Some say that the area is now more asthetically pleasing and has more uses, but the memory of the lane and its close knit community of great Carlow families, lives on.

Sadly not many of those who lived in the lane are still with us but those who remain speak of the lane with fondness and certain sadness.

No.1: Was occupied by Ed Geoghegan and his wife Myree (nee Moran), they were one of the families that lost a son in the First World War. He was Martin, a keeper in St. Dympna's, killed in action in France. Thomas, the second son married Francis Lennon. Katie was a children's nanny. Alice married Paddy Farrell and lived here, Paddy died in 1920 as a result of wounds sustained in the war. Mary married Michael Murray and lived at No. 80 Bridewell Lane.

No. 2: Here was a yard owned by Miss Parr who at this time also owned a shop in Burrin Street.

No. 3 Here lived Timmy Quigley who was married to Mary Hayden, they had six children. Paddy, well known in Carlow for his musical talent, worked in the Sugar Factory for many years. Jimmy and Willie both married and lived in England. Jimmy spent some years in the British Army as a baker, while Willie was a porter on the Railway. Timmy was a sailor with the British Navy. Nellie and Hilda both married, Hilda now Mrs. John McGlade.

No. 4: Joseph Hayden, a noted fisherman, lived here with his wife Margaret Townsend, both from Carlow. Joe was a keen handball player. Their children were Mary who married Fred Winch (England). Sarah married to James Grant, Graiguecullen. Jim married to M. Tobin, Green Lane. Joe, a well known musician in dance bands and Mick who married Birdget Freeman from Kilkenny and is now living J.K.L. Mick remembers cycling to Muinebheag every day to work in Connolly's Bakery, clocking in at 8p.m. and finishing at 9 a.m. for which he received £3.0.5 per week.

No. 5 & 6: Were owned by John Byrne, bacon curer, they were later bought by John Brennan (1946-'47) when Byrnes moved their business to Cork.

No. 7: This house was on the corner of Bridewell Lane and Brewery Lane. It was occupied by Frank and Lizzie Hanlon. Lizzie, whose maiden name was Dillon, worked in the Presentation Convent.

No. 8: Andy Doyle and his wife Fan (nee Shortall) from No. 63 lived here. Andy died in France during the First World War. Their children were Annie, Maisie, Billy, Mag and Johnny. With the exception of Annie the children all emigrated to England. Annie married Bill O'Brien, founder of Eire Og and they lived in Pollerton Road. Later Fan married Jim Doyle, who served as a blacksmith with the British Army.

No. 9: Was in the possession of John Byrne, bacon curer.

No. 9a: Chris Williamson married Bridget O'Gorman, originally from the Fighting Cocks. Their children are: Ann, Married to Joe Leigh (England); Kitty, married to Bill Parkes (England); Joan married to Peter O'Connor from the Fighting Cocks and living in New Oak Estate. Philomena married Peter Dowling and is living in St. Mary's Park. Esther, who works in the District Hospital, married John Farrell. Patricia married Willie Cullen (Palatine footballer) and works in Braun. Jim is living in St. Mary's Park, he is married to Sadie Storey. Eugene is single, a member of Eire

Og and is presently working on the Social Employment Scheme there. Christie married Catherine Quigley from Staplestown Road. Martin married Bernie O'Reilly. Eddie, single, is living in St. Mary's Park. Eugene, holder of three senior medals, plays football for Palatine, Martin plays for O'Hanrahans. Jim is chairman of the Carlow Pigeon Club.

No. 10: Mary and Bill Brennann were next. Mary was originally from Dublin and worked as a laundress in the Presentation Convent. Bill worked in Haughton's corn and coal yard, Water Lane. They had two children, Billy who moved to Portarlington and Julia who married Ned Hutton from Pollerton Big.

No. l0a & 11: These properties belonged to John Brennan, bacon curer.

No. 12: John and Anne Byrne lived here. John worked in Thompson's all his life. Their children were: Mick, who worked in Thompson's, married Molly Murphy from No. 67, they had six children. John Married Elizabeth Doyle of Baltinglass and lived at No. 34. Sally is married and living in Dublin. Nan married Martin Kavanagh and they have two sons.

No. 13: Murta Lennon married Biddie Monks from Staplestown Road. Murta was goalkeeper for O'Hanrahans who he played for all his life. The Lennons were known locally for their herbal cures.

No. 13a: Wm. French from Castle Hill married Elizabeth 'Bel' Mulhall from No. 16 Bridewell Lane. William, a labourer, was very involved with O'Hanrahans. He spent many hours as 'physio' in Byrne's sheds, he also looked after the jerseys and marked the Barrack field. Elizabeth died aged 28. William and Elizabeth had two children, Rosanna who was not married and died young and John who married Kathleen Hennessy from Graiguecullen and lived in No. 14a.

No. 14: The Deere family lived here. John Deere originally from Staplestown Road, married Nanny Swayne from Stradbally. John was an ex-British Army man and Nanny worked for some years in the Sacred Heart Home. Nanny's house was the last house occupied.

No. 14a: Mrs. Emily Finn and family lived here in 1940, later John Ffrench from No. 13a moved in. John, born in 1920, married Kathleen Hennessy, daughter of the legendary Barney Hennessy and they had children: Willie, Rosanna, Barney, Bella, Maria, Christina, Ted, Geraldine.

No. 15: Mary Tol' Curran married to Bill Gaffney, lived here. Bill was a thatcher by trade. After Bill's death, Mary and Neddy Ffrench. Many will remember Neddy's favourite saying "I'll be back, when the fields are white with daisies".

No. 16: Davy Mulhall from Stradbally married Mary Berming-ham, College Street. Davy was a well known and respected antique furniture dealer who was known to walk to Kilkenny to buy furniture. Their children are Elizabeth - see No. 13a, David - a tailor, Patrick died aged 16 from war wounds received during the 1914/18 war. Sophia married and living in England. Margaret married Arthur Kneale from the Isle of Man. Annie, known to all of us as 'Minnie' from The Riordans, was an actress from the age of 13. Annie was married to Louis D'Alton, after his death she married John Cowley, also of The Riordans fame. Tom married Lily Rea (No. 62) and has five children. Tom spent three years in the Irish Army before joining the Sugar Factory, where he worked for 40 years. Tom played for O'Hanrahsns as does his son Tom (jnr.). Joseph, a decorator married Bridie Kipero from Italy. May married Edward Walker who was in the British Army. Kathleen, an actress, married William Costello, an actor. William (dec.) was originally from Limerick. Kathleen is now living in Newbridge. Judy, also an actress, married Denis Palmer and is living in Dublin.

No. 17: Here dwelt James Shaw from Cnoc Arda (Palatine) and Mary Walker from Tomard. Jim, a veteran of the Boer War, where he was injured. He also served in the First World War. He worked for a while in the Deighton Foundry, Burrin Street and in the Sugar Factory. Mary, a dressmaker, had a steady stream of callers looking for garments to be made and altered. People also called to Shaw's for the cure for worms which was known as the Canavan Beag. Their children, Paddy, Nan, Tom, Molly, Nell and Kathleen were all born here.

Molly married Michael Kehoe, Paddy married Nell Kavanagh from Chaplestown, he lost three fingers in the war. Tom married Martha Harvey (see Harvey family, Accommodation Road). Kathleen, now 73, worked in the Milk Depot (opposite the Guard's Barracks) as did Nan, now in her 85th year, who delivered milk around the town.

Nan's poetry is a joy to listen to and we are delighted to have been able to use some of it in this publication. She worked in Sheil's shop, Burrin Street for many years. Her favourite job was cutting up butter, using wire, which had been delivered in kegs by farmers.

Nan remembers seeing Haley's Comet in 1910. She was standing in Potato Market with Lil and Bridget Corcoran and Marie Curran and saw the comet passing over the town, it was very bright and had a long tail dragging behind in the sky. Another strong memory of Nan's is the visit of Lady Aberdeen to the Presentation School, the purpose of the visit was to educate people about 'consumption'. Madge Mulhall, Emmie Finn, Claire Kelly from the infants class were chosen to present flowers to Lady Aberdeen.

No. 18: William and Annie McGrath lived here. William was from Bridewell Lane and Annie (Byrne) was from Muinebheag. Annie ran a shop here, starting by selling milk but building up the business and later selling coal and turf as well as groceries. They were the first in Carlow to sell hand made ice cream and with helper Paddy Williamson sold it at all the matches. William and Annie had two children, Essie, who went to England and became a nurse and Tom who married Elizabeth Finn from Mill Lane.

Tom worked in the Sugar Factory from its opening. He later went into business for himself as a small contractor. Tom and Elizabeth's children are Billy, married to Mai Kane and living at St. Patrick's Ave. Billy and Mai are both involved with Eire Og, Billy being a founder member, he has also given much of his time over the years to the Red Cross. Essie and Tom both died young. Sheila is married to Jim Jordan and living in Roncalli Avenue. Ann married to Frank Archbold, Mill Lane. Ann and Frank are well known for their Ballroom Dancing and the work which they have put into the Carlow Community Games.

No. 19: The Byrne family lived here. Brothers Joe and Peter were farmers and had land up the Blackbog. They sold milk to the people of the area and Peter kept a potato store where Tully's yard is now.

No. 20a: This was occupied by Joseph Phelan who was Secretary of O'Hanrahans at one time. His wife Anne (Snoddy) from Blackbog Road was a member of Cumann na mBan, she was also an excellent player of the Jews harp.

Their children were Paudge, now married and living in Tullow. Jack, Collette and Paschal. Paschal is now living in Graiguecullen with his wife and their four children. The family left Bridewell Lane in 1961.

No. 21: Paddy Hutton, Granby Row married Maggie O'Brien from Staplestown Road. They moved here about 1938 and have six children. Jim, Patrick, Bill, Joe, Kathleen and Mary. The girls travelled, Kathleen settling in Manchester and Mary in Florida.

No. 22: Nellie Byrne lived here as did her brother Laurence. Larry was a shoemaker. Neither married.


Frank Slater's Yard. Photo c.1920
Standing L. to R. Mrs. Ryan, Annie Slater, Baby Slater, Julia Clarke, ________, Joe Parker, Mr.Walsh, Joe Diamond, John Walshe, W. Dobbyns, Ned Hutton, Mife Doogue, Mr Branigan, Bill Payne, Ned Slater, Frank Slater (wearing hat), Marie Slater, Mrs. Walsh, Mrs. Corcoran, --------------, Kathleen Slater, Mrs. Carey,--------------, Mrs. Farrell, ----------------, Mrs. Walsh,----------------,
Names courtesy of Mrs. Parr.
Image source: Carlow in old Picture Postcards by Michael Purcell 1994

FRANK SLATER


No. 23: This house was owned by John Slater. Slaters were Carlow business people who owned many premises including the poultry in Bridewell Lane, a bakery where Crotty’s is now, and turf accountants and of course Slater's cinema

No. 24a, J. Dunn, a tailor lived here. The family is long gone out of Carlow.

No. 25 & 26: were Barrow Milling and Thomas Thompson's

26a: Here dwelt Mary Davis from Kilkea and her husband Dick Carey. Both were very involved in their business of market gardening and they sold their vegetables in all surrounding towns. Dick was veteran of the Boer War. They had seven children. Tom married to.  Bridie McDonald from Muinebheag, Dick married J. Cosgrave from Closh.  Jack married M. Ryan and worked at Duckett's Grove; drawing timber for Thompson's and Matt died aged 18. Kitty and Pol went to England. Nan ('Lottie') married Jack Kelly from Montgomery Street.

The contribution of 3 generations of the Carey family to the wars should be noted. Dick senior served during the Boer War, his sons Tom, Dick, Jack and Matt all served in the  first World War - Matt gassed in !,Flanders. Tom's son, Tom jnr. who 1ived for a while in Brewery Lane, "and is now at J.K.L. saw active service throughout Europe in World War II. Tom's youngest son Michael has served with the Irish Army.

No. 27: This house was occupied by Ellen Farrell, who worked in the laundry in Browne Street.

No. 28: The Deere family lived here. Patrick, a well known cobbler ran his business from Cuddy's, Tullow Street. His son Tommy (Brownie) continued the business here for many years. Tommy was married to Nellie Murphy, Pollerton Road. The 'other children here were Michael, Kitty and Susan who all went to England. Eoin, Molly and Patrick who married Bridget Murphy, worked in the Sugar Factory.

No. 29-30: John Kelly, Graiguecullen, worked in the Sugar Factory for 37 years. He married Jane Robinson, Carlow. They had 8 children, John and Richard both went to England. William, known as Digger' now lives at New Oak estate. Matt, who worked in Mattie Kehoe’s for some time is now married and living in England.  Angela married Mick Reddy from Tullow Road. Joe, single, worked in England for some years, he also worked in the Sugar Factory. Mary married Robert Hardy and is living in England. Paul was a boxer in his school days; he has nine medals for the fights he won. He married Bridget Philpin and they had 5 children.

No. 31: Bernard Murray, single, lived here, he worked in the Sugar Factory for many years. Bernard's sister Margaret lived next door in No 32.

No. 32: George Fleet, England married Margaret Murray, from Bridewell Lane. Son George is married and living in Dublin. He served his time in Statham's and. Later was a policeman in Dublin. He' is now retired. Daughter Olive, who married Thomas Browne from England, is now living in Pollerton Road.

No. 33: John Curran, Little Barrack Street, married Annie Shannon from Grange, Tullow. They had nine children, the family moved to J.K.L. in 1954. Children are - Margaret, who is married and living in Switzerland. James worked in the Sugar Factory, he married Betty Haughney and they live in England. Liam who worked in the Texaco Oil Company, Michael in the Cannery and Thomas in the Oil Company are all in England. Maureen is married and living in America. Francis worked in both the Boot Factory and Thompson's, she married Tom Donegan and is living in Navan.  Ann, who married Paddy Brennan now resides at St. Fiacc's Terrace and John (J.C. Video) married Catherine Kelly from Sligo. (See Curran Family notes)

No. 34: John Byrne of 12 Bridewell Lane married Elizabeth Doyle of Baltinglass. John worked in the Boot Factory all his life. Their children are: Sean who married Nancy Fleming. They are living at Kevin Barry Avenue and they have 7 children. Sean worked in Thompson's. Bridie, who is a nurse in St. Dympna's, married Jim Conway. They have three children and the family is now living at McGamhna Road. Peter worked in Thompson's. He married Ann Morgan and they have 3 children and are now living in London. Peter is now a fitter with British Rail. Michael married Phil Buggy. They now live in Monacurragh with their three children. Michael owns Window Fashions and The Lamp Shop, Castle Hill, Edward, single, lives in St Mary's Park with Seamus who is also single. Seamus works in Window Fashions and Edward works in Phelan's.

No. 35: This house was occupied by the O'Neills. Patrick 'Nobbie' was from Graiguecullen. His wife Mary Timmons was from the Green Road. They had two children, Kathleen and James. Kathleen worked in the Royal Arms (now Royal Hotel). She also worked in the Sugar Factory sewing sacks for wages of £3 per week. Kathleen married Anthony Parker. He was in the Irish Free State Army and later in the Sugar Factory. When the Sugar Factory opened in Tuam he moved down there as did some of the other machine operators. James is married and living in England. Kathleen remembers taking part in school concerts along with Annie Mulhall.

Corcorans Houses which were knocked down in December 1985No. 37: Denis Corcoran and family lived here, the children Denis, Peter and Maureen emigrated to England, Frances went to Canada. This house was later occupied by Bernard Corcoran and family. '

No. 38: William Corcoran, a brother of Denis, married Hannah Keating. from Graiguecullen. William, a fitter in Thompsons, saw active service in the First World War. Their children are Denis who married Eileen O'Neill, Ballymanus Terrace, John who went to England, William, single, Bernard married Eileen Hayden, Mill Lane, Paddy married Peg Clarke, St. Killian's Crescent, Mary married Michael Brennan, Fenagh, and Hannah, St. Joseph's Road who owns the Elite Saloon.

No. 39: Daniel McDonnell owned a large shed which stood here, it was used to house bread vans etc.

No. 42a: Here was Ed and Anne Geoghegan both from Carlow (Annie nee Moran). Edward served with both the British and Irish armies. Margaret married Tommy Keating (see No. 2, Staplestown Road). Mary married John Nolan, Graiguecullen. Anne married Harry Wilson (England) and is living in Australia. James worked in McDonnell's bakery, Tullow Street and married Cis Kealy, Graiguecullen. John worked in the Boot Factory and later in the Sugar Factory. He was married to Annie Smith, Graiguecullen. Paddy is married and lives in England. Edward and Tommy both married and now live in England. Billy who worked in the Beet Factory married Tessie Farrell from John Street, they are in Australia. John and Edward both played for O'Hanrahans.

No. 42b: Michael 'Scallops' Carroll lived here with his daughter Elizabeth who did not marry and worked in the Beet Factory for years and Maggie who went to England.

No. 43: John Kavanagh from Laois married Mary Fitzgerald from Killeshin. John worked in the Beet Factory and the coalmines. He also played football for Laois. Mary worked for Thompsons and Slaters before she got married, and is now living at Pollerton Road. John and Mary had 5 children. Marie and Ned are married and living in England. Dan also in England, married Christine Clarke from No. 58. John who won a county handball Junior Championship, married Marie Walsh from Talbot Terrace and is living in Dereen Heights. Francis worked in Stathams and Colemans and married Betty Donoghue and they are living in J.K.L.

No. 44: Lawrence Walsh dwelt here, he was single and worked in Slaters fowl yard.

No. 45: Mary Moore married Ned Haughney, an army man. Their sons Paddy and Ned both worked in the Blade Factory, they also played for O'Hanrahans. Paddy married Josie Mahon from Staplestown Road and emigrated to Australia. Ned married S. Farrell and they went to England.

No. 46: Joseph Kennedy married Bridget Condron from Brownshill Road. Joseph was born in 1907 and Bridget in 1913. Their only child Kevin married Olive Moore and they now live in Oakley Park, Graiguecullen, with their three children. Kevin, a member of the Old Carlow Society is a teacher in the Regional Technical College.

Certificate awarded to John ClarkeNo. 58: Better known as 'Jack' John Clarke from Muinebeag married Julia Campion from Moneenroe near Castlecomer, they both worked for Slaters. Jack, a very strong boxer in his day, was a member of Carlow Boxing Club during the 30's. Children: Annie, the only one to remain in Carlow, married Jimmy Parr from the Numbers, Graiguecullen. Tom married Biddie Byrne, Staplestown Road and they live in the 'Big Apple', New York. Elizabeth married Paddy Byrne, also from Staplestown Road, they live in Canada. Christine married Dan Kavanagh (No. 43), they live in Basildon, Essex. Kathleen married Paddy Keegan, they reside in Dublin.

No. 59: Jim Williamson, single lived here, he was an army man and his brother Chris lived at No. 9.

No. 60: Here dwelt Mrs. O'Neill. Her son Jimmy worked for Dr. Larry Doyle for many years. Bridie, a daughter, is living in Burrin Street.

No. 62: John Rea from Dublin married Ellen Connors from Bridewell Lane (last person to be buried in the old graves). They had four children, Tom and Mollie both went to England. Jim worked in Brennan's butchers, Bridewell Lane, he also worked in the Beet Factory and later in the Nationalist Office as a machinist for about 12 years. Jim married Ita Hennessy of St. Mary's Park (Lily married Tom Mulhall of No. 16) and lived on Bridewell Lane. They had seventeen children.

No. 63: Two brothers John and Billy Shortall married sisters, Margaret and Nan Bermingham, of Court Place. John and Mag lived here, Mag worked as a feather plucker. They had two daughters, Maggie who married Jack Rice and moved to Pollerton Road, and Fan who married Andy Doyle and lived at No. 8, Bridewell Lane.

No. 63A: Jim Byrne who married Mary Moran whose brother Thomas lived at No. 68. The children were: Crissy, Margaret, Jimmy, Neddy, Larry and Philis, all of whom went to London except for Philis who went to Canada.

No. 64A: Christy Williamson, married Ellen Geoghegan from Bridewell Lane. Christy was in the British Army and saw action in the Boer War and the First World War. Christy and Ellen's children are: Kathleen, Judy and Margaret in Manchester, Nellie in Surrey, Rita (Lyons) Graiguecullen, Mickie ('Mousie'), Christie ('Baz'), see No. 9A, Tommy ('Doodles') and Ned now living at Staplestown Road who was manager of the Youth Centre for ten years. The family moved to St. Mary's Park.

No. 67: The Murphy family lived here. Son Paddy 'Gurk' Murphy was a blacksmith and daughter Molly married Michael Byrne and moved to No. 1, New Street.

No. 68: Thomas Moran from Bridewell Lane married Mary Kelly from Baltinglass. Tom worked in the Sugar Company, he was a well known footballer and handball player. Children: Maura was married to Ron Rooker (foreman in Thompsons) and lived in J.K.L., they later moved to England. Angela married Sean Brooks, Staplestown Road. Mim married Myra Farrell from Mullingar, now living at Green Lane. Margaret married Pat O'Neill, Staplestown Road and is living in Hanover. Kathleen who worked in Ewing's Restaurant, Dublin St. is married and living in England. Josie married John Wynne who is present chairman of Eire Og, they are living at the Courthouse. Their sons Derek, John and Greg are carrying on their grandfather's name on the football field representing between them Eire Og and the County.

No. 70: Michael Murray from Staplestown Road married Mary Geoghegan, daughter of Ed. and Myra Geoghegan from No. 1. Mick worked as a lorry driver with Thompsons for many years. Their children are: Michael who married Claire McAssey, The Numbers, Graiguecullen, and their son Mickie is a founder member of Eire Og. He is a member of the executive committee at Teach Asca. John married Mary Nolan, also from The Numbers; Mary did the secretarial work for O'Hanrahans. Jim 'Shammy' married Jane Williamson of Brewery Lane, Maisie married Ned Haughney of the Coalyard, Pollerton Road, Kitty married John McManamy who for many years served with the F.C.A. and is now with the Credit Union. Ali works in Ned Haughney's Coalyard; Bridie and Peggy are two more daughters. Both Michael and John played for O'Hanrahans.

No. 71: This was a back entrance to Gerald Donnelly's, Tullow St. property.

Nos. 72, 73, 74, 76: Were listed in the name of Daniel McDonnell and included a back entrance to Tullow St., and sheds where their bread vans were kept.

No. 75: William 'Townie' Kirwan from Kildare was married to May Wyles, Potato Market. Willie worked for many years on McDonnells bread van and the family later moved to St. Mary's Park.


Source: Friends and Neighbours by James O'Brien 1986 & Michael Purcell c2008

While every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the details in this booklet, the publishers cannot guarantee that they are correct in every respect. Any errors or omissions are inadvertent and we trust that readers will appreciate the efforts of all concerned in compiling and publishing this history.
 
 NEXT PAGE   Brewery Lane 
The information on this web site is for personal use only, and under no circumstances is it to be used/copied for commercial purposes by
Professional Researchers. Neither can it be used for the purpose of gain from any person and/or organisation.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP