Carlow Tempe Group recently presented local businessman
Bernard Jennings with a rare old map of Carlow town. The
map shows that sometimes change doesn't necessarily
spell progress. Over the past 50 years politicians have
been continuously calling for a hospital for the town.
This map, based on a survey carried out by the
Engineering Department of the British Army in the 1850s,
shows the town had a hospital - even if it was the town
jail. The map, which originally belonged to the late Pat
Purcell, is very interesting. It identifies all the
houses in both Bridewell Lane and Brewery. The accuracy
is such that all the trees and back sheds, saw pits and
ball alleys are all included. Among the changes one can
see is the Friends Meeting House was situated where the
present-day Carlow Book Shop was.
The outline of the
premises has not changed up to the present day. In 1824
the Quakers leased that premises to Benjamin Jones. One
of the conditions was that he was to change the front
facade or else his rent would be increased. He duly
carried out such works, which remained in situ until the
premises was demolished and rebuilt a couple of years
ago. Another clause in that lease was that the premises
could not be sub let to a person who dealt in brass, or
carry on the trade of a smithy or a publican.
Friends Meeting House you can see the Wesleyan Chapel,
which was built to commemorate the founder of the
Methodist Church, John Wesley. At the Deighton Hall is
the Young Men Christian Association (YMCA) building.
While one of the town's landmarks for many years, the
Presentation Convent had not yet been built. What is
striking is Hanover House, with its imposing garden and
inlet from the River Burrin.
Source: The Nationalist Friday December 6th 2002
Sent in by Peter Walker c.2009
- Premises in the town of Carlow during the
- Source: (118 TB. Courtesy
of the National Library of Ireland)
Pat Purcell Papers
Letter to Pat Purcell dated July 1977 from
Public Record Office, Melbourne, Vic. Australia. [this
enquiry may be a search for relatives of deceased person
in order to distribute estate!]
have the following entry for Michael Holligan, aged 36,
Agricultural Labourer, his wife Margaret, aged 30, both
were able to read only, and their children Patrick, aged
3 and infant Ann. They came from Carlow, Ireland.
Departed from Liverpool on 18/05/1851, arrived in
Melbourne on 21/09/1851 on the ship "Stamboul", having
sailed for 126 days. They moved to Geelong on
Is it possible for you to enquire if
there are relatives living in the Carlow area today?
Please report any links or images which do
not open to
- The information contained in
these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
IGP TM By
Pre-emptive Copyright -
All rights reserved