BACK

 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Nationalist Directory Carlow of 1888
Carlow

Page 2

(Search this Registry hold down 'Control' key and press 'F' then type in the name and then press your 'Return' key)

County Carlow Directory

Population

1841

1861

1871

1881

 

86,228

57,137

51,650

46,568

Member for the County—Col. The O'Gorman Mahon, Mahonburg, Ennis, County Clare; St. George's Club, Hanover Square, London, W.; 37, Fitzroy-st., London.

Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorem—A, M'Murrough Kavanagh, Borris House.

County Officers.

High Sheriff—Sir M. Fitzgerald, Knight of Kerry.
County Court Judge—Dr. Darley, Q.C.
Resident Magistrate—R. Kennedy, Esq.. Grosvenor Place, Carlow.
Clerk of the Crown and Peace—Wm. Johnston, Esq., Carlow.
Registrar to County Court Judge—H. R. Disney, Esq  47 Lower Gardiner-street, Dublin.
Crown Solicitor—Thomas Gerrard, Esq, 25 Westmoreland-street. Dublin.
Sessional Crown Solicitor—Charles Thorp, Esq, Bagnalstown.
County Treasurer—Robert G. Watsou, Esq., Ballydarton, Bagnalstown.
Secretary to Grand Jury—James Butler, Esq., Ballybar, Carlow.
County Surveyor—E. T. Quilton. Esq., M.A., Straw Hall.
County Surveyor's Assistants—John Keppel, Esq., John Yonng, Esq., Bagnalstown.
Sub-Sheriff—E. L. Jameson, Esq., Carlow.
Sub-Sheriffs Returning Officer—William Alexander, Esq., B.L.
Coroner—P, B. Kehoe, Esq., Leighlinbridge.

Barony Cess CollectorsCarlow: Jas. W. Butler; Forth: John Keppel; Idrone East: John Dillon; Idrone West: Richard Smith; Rathvilly: Patrick Kavanagh; St. Mullins: Thos. Lawler.

Head Distributor Stamps—The Collector Inland Revenue, Kilkenny.

Bagnalstown—

Borris—Post Office.

Carlow—Post Office.

County Inspector R.I C.—Henry Smith, Esq., Carlow.

District Inspectors—Carlow: J. O. Hyde, Esq. Bagnalstown: P. H Joy., Esq.

Petty Sessions Courts and Polling places.

 

Courts.

Number Voters.

Clerk.

Bagnalstown

1391

J. B. Warren.

Borris

1315

J. Devine.

Carlow

1658

William Johnston.

Clonegal

341

(Polling place only)

Fenagh

216

(Polling place only)

Hacketstown

619

P. Douglas.

Myshal

435

S. Corrigan.

Rathvilly

469

(Polling place only)

Tullow

1077

H. Meredith.

No. of Voters on Register, 1888, 7521

 Carlow Lunatic Asylum.

Board of Governors for the Counties of Carlow and Kildare, meet the second Friday of each mouth.

Board of Governors.

Right Rev. James Walshe, D.D.

Sir Thomas Butler, Bart.

Horace Rochfort, Esq.

Right Hon. A. M. Kavanagh.

R. Clayton Browne, Esq.

W. R. Bulwer.

W. F. Burton, Esq.

Sir C. Burton, Bart.

Right Hon. H. Bruen.

Right Hon. W. H. F. Cogan.

P. J. Newton.

Capt. P. Butler.

T. Fitzgerald.

J. A. Cassidy, Esq.

P. Nolan, Esq.

Stewart Duckett, Esq.

J. Medlicott, Esq.

Hardy Eustace, Esq.

F. M. Carroll, Esq.

Major Burrowes.

M. Walsh, Esq.

Marquis of Kildare.

Baron de Robeck.

Very Rev. E. W. Burke.

 

J. F. Lecky, Esq.

 Resident Medical Superintendent—T. P. O'Meara, Esq., M.B., M.R.C.S.I., M.R.C.S.E.
Visiting and Consulting Physician—C. W. MacDowell, Esq M.D, F.R.C.S.I.
Apothecary—D. J. McGrath, Esq.
Catholic Chaplain—Rev. J. Byrne, C.C.
Protestant—Very Rev. W. Smith King.
Matron—Mrs. Mary Ellison.
Clerk—Mr.  John Abraham.
Storekeeper—Mr. John Brady.

 Fever Hospital.

Physician, Dr. C. Macdowell. Matron, Mrs. Kane.

 County Infirmary.

Treasurer, Very Rev. W. S. King; Surgeon, Robert T. O'Callaghan, M.D.; Secretary, Eames Rogers; Matron, Miss McCord.

Board of Works.

Board of Works Inspector for the Counties of Carlow and Wicklow, and parts of Dublin, Kildare, Queen's, Kilkenny, and Wexford—Arthur Hade, C.E., Carlow.

District Fishery Conservators.

Mr. William Fishbourne, Mr. C. Thorp, Solicitor, and Mr. Boyd, Solicitor. Water Bailiffs—M. Webster, Graigue; J. Byrne, Bagnalstown; J. Mahon, Goresbridge; P. S. Kein, Borris; J. Neill, Clohusta.

Carlow Borough.

The Borough of Carlow includes the suburb of Graigue in Queen's County, and comprises an area of 572 acres. Rateable value of property in the borough £11,125. Population in 1881, 7,185. Houses, 1,382. The Assizes for the county and Quarter Sessions for Carlow and Graigue divisions are held in the town. The borough returned a member to Parliament up to 1885, when the privilege was abolished by the Representation of the People Act.

 Carlow Town Commissioners.

(Weekly meeting, Tuesday).

Messrs. John Hammond, Chairman; E. T. Mulhall; M. W. Dunne; Stanley Johnson; M. Governey; Thos. Murphy; P. D. Shackleton; Edward Morris; John Whelan; Patrick Lawler; Laurence M'Caul; Wm. Duggan; Michael L. Kelly; James Bolger; Benjamin Coleman; Thos. Byrne; John Keating ; Wm. Douglas.

Town Clerk—James Kelly. Borough Surveyor—James Byrne. Market Superintendent—E. Dillon. Weighmaster (Potato-market)—John Byrne. Do. (New-market)—Maurice Keating. Town Inspector—Thomas Collins. Sanitary Officer—Dr. W. H. O'Meara. Watchman—Richard Harrington. Treasurer— The National Bank. Auditor—Courtenay Croker.

Borough Magistrate—John Hammond.
Postmaster—Robert Swale.
Stationmaster, G. 8. & W. Railway—W. H. Cashel.
Carlow Catholic Young Men's Society (Racquet Court). — President, Rev. E. Kavanagh, Adm.; Hon. Secretary, John Hammond.
Commercial Club (Browne-street).—Hon. Sec., J. Brady.
Carlow Rowing Club.—Captain, H. W. Boake.
Carlow Football Club (Gaelic).—Captain, M. McDonnell; Hon. Secretary, F. Stinson.
Carlow Football Club (Rugby).—Captain, W. H. Fitzmaurice; Hon. Secretary, H. Yelverton.
County Carlow Cricket Club (Ground, Tiny Park).—Hon. Sec., B. F. Bageaal.
Carlow Loan Fund Society.—Chairman, J. R. Lawler; Treasurer, M. O'Reilly; Secretary, Thomas Canning.
St. Vincent de Paul's Society.—President, John Hammond; Treasurer, J. Maxwell; Secretary, James Doyle.
Barrow Navigation Company.—Agent. R. Mitchell.
Grand Canal Company.—Agent for Carlow, John Kelly, Wellington-square.
Sacred Heart Society (Graigue).—President, Rev. W. Maher; Treasurer, James Carey; Hon. Secretary,
Volunteer Fire Brigade.—Captain, Joseph Hade; Hon. Secretary, William Hade.
Banks.—The National, T. Pierson, Manager; The Bank of Ireland, E. T. Stuart, Manager.
Gas Company.—Chairman, E. Byrne; Secretary, Eames Rogers; Manager, P. J. Gregan.

National League (Carlow, Tinryland, & Bennekerry Branch). —President, Rev. E. Kavanagh, Adm.; Vice-President, T. Keogh; Hon. Secs., M. O'Reilly, Carlow, and T. Dowling, Linkardstown.

Colleges, Academies and Schools.
Carlow College (St. Patrick's).—President, Very  Rev. E. W. Bourke, DD.; Rev. P. Foley, B.A., Vice-President; Dean, Rev, J. Robinson; Dean of Lay College, Rev. M. Lalor;
Presentation Convent, College-street. Sister M. Paul, Superioress.
Convent of Mercy, Dublin-road. Sister M. Scholastica, Superioress.
Academy Montgomery-street. C. M'Quaide, B.A., T.C.D., Master.
Church Education Society School, Barrack-street. Thomas Calcutt, Master.
National School, Graigue (Male). D. Fenlon, Head Master.,
National School, Graigue (Female). Miss Fenelon, Head Mistress.
Ladies  Seminary (Protestant), Burrin-street. Miss Eleanor Williams, Mistress.

Tullow and Carlow Day Car.

This Car leaves Tullow for Carlow at 7 a.m. and 1.30. p.m.; and returns from Carlow to Tullow at 9.30. a.m. and 8.30. p.m.

John Donohoe, Bridge-st., Tullow.

Business Directory.

Apothecaries.
M'Grath, D. J., Dublin-street
Salter, William, Burrin-street
Auctioneers and Valuers.
Langran, G, Dublin-street
Jackson, J., Tullow-street
Moore, James. Dublin-street
Reddy, J., Tullow-street
Wilson, George, Dublin-street

| Ad Page | Next Page |

Transcribed by M. Brennan from the Nationalist Supplement 1983

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP

TOP