INDEX

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Carlow in 1920's


This page contains a list of some of the Traders and Shop Keepers who were trading in Carlow town in the 1920's


Tullow Street

Smyth's - Boot Shop
Cathy Hoey's - Stationery shop
Michael King - Public House
Oliver's Butchers
Michael Molly MP owned three shops in Tullow Street
John O'Brien - Furniture Repairer and French Polisher
Miss Tracey's - Boot Shop
Corcorans - Sweet Shop
Walsh - Boot Maker
Tom Doran's - Outfitters
Timmons - Garden Produce
Boake's - Bakers
Tynan's Hotel

Bolgers Hotel / The Munster & Leinster Bank (This building was later owned by Patrick Lawler who operated a Bacon-Curing business and a Wine & Spirit shop in 1911). The building was demolished in 1973 to make way for another Irish Bank.

Walsh - Drapery
Nicholas Roach - Motor Cars, Lorries and Cycles
Garda Barracks (Police Station)
31 Tullow Street - Finegan's - Grocery & Public House
The Foley Brothers have renamed McDonalds 'The Old House'
J. C. Lawler - Draper & Haberdashery
John Bowe
Misses Mahers (This property was used during the War of Independence as an Irish Republic Army meeting place).
Dinty Delaney - Public House
135 Tullow Street - Colgans - Stationery, Toys and Newsagency
Hadden's - Drapery Stores

MARKET CROSS

Michael Byrne - Bacon curer & Lard refiner
Duggan's - Grocery shop

CASTLE STREET

Governey's - Boot shop
Miss Murphy's - Hairdressing Salon

DUBLIN STREET 1900's

No. A1 Sticky Back - Photographer's
McGrath - Medical Hall formally The Red Cow Inn.
Brennan Bros - Butchers
19-20 Dublin Street - Coleman's Garage (This is one of the oldest established family businesses in Ireland. They have been in existence for over two hundred years).
McNally - Chemist
Sugar Bowl - Cafe
Post Office
Roche's - Drapery shop
Ewin's Restaurant
50 Dublin Street - Cigar Divan - Cigarettes, Cigars, Pipes, Newspapers, Sweets (There are only two Cigar Divan's in the whole of Ireland; the second one is in Cork. The Carlow shop is the oldest.
53 Dublin Street - Bergin - Public House
Cunningham's - Ladies & Gents Hairdressers.
16 Dublin Street - McElwee's - Newsagents
Paddy Kinsella's - Radio shop
Olivers - Butchers
Begley - Tailors
Patrick Bourke - Wool Merchant
P.J. Byrne - Solicitor
Royal Hotel formally known as The Kings Arms Hotel. The Royal Arms Hotel, The Queens Arms Hotel, and Cullens Hotel
Next door to the Royal Hotel was a Tobacco shop c1913
Stanley Johnson - Home Bakery
Hugh McDonald - Solicitors
Godfrey McDonald - Architect
Vogue - Hairdressing salon (Owned by Irene Burke)
Aidan Walsh - Veterinary surgeon
Mr Tucker - Dentist Surgery
Dr. Larry Doyle - Dispensary Doctor

44 Dublin Street - Francis McAnally 44 Dublin Street - Francis McAnally - Pharmaceutical & Dispensing Chemist shop. Oculist's prescriptions and spectacles were also sold. Unfortunately this shop front was replaced in 1953 with a more modern exterior of the time. During the War of Independence a man know as Liam Leahy worked here as a chemists assistant. Leahy was the undercover name used by Liam Stack, who was the Officer-in-charge of the local Irish Republican Army Units. Liam married a local girl Sarah Reynolds of the Courthouse. Later he was promoted to the rank of Chief Superintendent in the newly formed police force, the Garda Síochána.

 

57 Dublin Street - The Provincial Bank (built 1901)
56 Dublin Street - Leverett and Frye
58 Dublin Street - William Duggan - Stationery & Toy shop
59 Dublin Street - William Duggan - Wine Merchant and Whisky Bonder
Both 58 & 59 Dublin Street were once Stagecoach Inns known as The Crown & Sceptre and the Blackamoor Head Inn. Today the Blackamoor continues under the name "The Beams".
William Kennedy - Public House
William Douglas - House Furnisher
John McQuaide - Home
John McQuaide - Book shop
National Bank

Next Page


[ Carlow County Council Resolution 1920 ] [ Carlow 1920 ]

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP

Carlow 1919 Carlow 1920
Carlow 1921 CARLOW 1922