INDEX

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Pat Purcell Papers


Carlow 1949

Source: Michael Purcell c.2013


Dan McDonnell, Buzz's Pub.

At one time the McDonnell family owned three pubs in Carlow, one in Haymarket which in later years traded under various names - Ewings, The Crow's Nest, Heavins, Tormeys, etc., two pubs on Tullow Street, one now
Tully's Bar and another across the street, at No. 7, Buzzs.

Nationalist and Leinster Times. June 1949.

MR DANIEL McDONNELL.

A well-known Carlow figure was removed last week by the death of Mr Dan McDonnell.  Born in 1868, he conducted the extensive grocery and bakery business founded in 1830 at No. 7 Tullow Street by his parents, the late Michael and Catherine McDonnell.
The late Mr McDonnell was a keen sportsman in his early years. He was a  great believer in physical exercise and was a familiar figure on his favourite bicycle. From the early days he owned a motor car and toured
extensively in Ireland.He visited the United States twice, and saw his brother, Augustine.
Coming from an old Carlow family he was very proud of the town of his birth.
Mr McDonnell, although he took only a limited part in the social life of the town, contributed generously to all charitable objects, and quietly assisted many less fortunate people. He conducted a very remunerative
business in the good old tradition, which is now taken over by his nephew, Mr Thomas McDonnell.
Of the deceased's family, two sisters were members of the Dominican Community at Cabra. He out-lived his five brothers and three sisters, and was in fact the last of his generation.
Chief mourners were:- Thomas, Michael, William J., Leo and Ray McDonnell (nephews) ; Mrs K. Murphy, Mrs J. O'Shea, Miss Angela McDonnell, Miss E. Patterson and Mrs Annie Davis (nieces) ; Thomas Maher, ( cousin); D. and O'Maher, Rev. T. Hughes, C.C., T. Murphy, M. Doyle, T.Bacon and P. Maher.
Requiem Office and Mass were held at Carlow Cathedral, buried in St. Mary's Cemetery. [5 priests are named in attendance].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cunningham, Brown Street. 1949.


July 1949 at his residence, 4 Brown Street, Carlow, George Joseph Cunningham, beloved husband of Sheila. Remains were removed to the Cathedral and interment took place in St Mary's Cemetery.
Regretted by his wife mother, sister and brother. Sincere thanks to all who sympathised with them in their recent sad bereavement. To all those who sent Mass Cards, telegrams and letters of sympathy, all who called personally and attended the funeral.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Transcribed by Michael Purcell, April, 2011.


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP

TOP