- Carlow Infirmary front
- Carlow Infirmary c.1956 where
the Sacred Hearth Old Folks home is now
The County Carlow Infirmary was designed by architect
John B. Keane in 1838. It consisted of two floors. The Surgery, post
operative wards for males and females, Matron’s quarters, kitchen and
larder and the ‘Dead House’ were on the ground floor. The upper floor
contained three male wards, two female wards and a nurses ward. There
were separate courtyards for males and females out of doors. The image
on the left shows the central portion of the building designed in the Jacobean
style. It was flanked by two gabled wings. Over each window was a drip
mould. The builder for the project was James Johnston. The building has
since been demolished.
Note from Michael Purcell:
The above picture of the Carlow
Infirmary was among the Browne-Clayton papers presented in
2008 by Robert Browne-Clayton. Carlow County Hospital on the Dublin
Road better known as "the Infirmary", built circa 1835 by voluntary
subscription, it was suggested at the time of building that the
hospital be named The Princess Victoria Infirmary.. Upon completion
the Browne-Clayton family furnished the hospital with beds, cooking
equipment and furniture and supported the running of it for many
years. Food and medicine supplies were paid for by voluntary
subscription with funding provided mainly from the clergy, doctors and
the gentry. The staffing and administration of the hospital was
funded from the annual Presentments to the Grand Jury based upon
recommendations from a board of governors.
In 1898 the Local Government Act passed responsibility
for the running of the hospital to Carlow County Council aided by
government grants. Up to the 1950s the Browne-Clayton family provided
presents and seasonal fare every Christmas and Easter for the staff
and patients. I think the hospital closed in the early 1970s ?. The
building has been demolished and today the Sacred Heart Hospital for
the elderly occupies the site.
Carlow Museum website www.askireland.ie.
- The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,