Search billions of records on


Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

The Carlow Sentinal


Carlow Sentinel, 1849-1850

Annual Meeting of The County Carlow And Leighlin Diocesan Auxiliary To The Irish Society

On December 1st 1849, The Carlow Sentinel’s Local Intelligence column reported on the “Annual Meeting Of The County Carlow And Leighlin Diocesan Auxilliary To The Irish Society”. There had actually been two meetings, held the previous week in the Assembly Rooms in Carlow Town, one in the morning (or forenoon), the other in the evening. Among the main speakers were the Rev. Thomas Moriarty from Ventry and the Rev John N Griffin from Harold’s Cross, Dublin.

‘At the morning meeting, on the motion of Captain McClintock Bunbury, MP, seconded by the Rev J. S. Cooper, Colonel Bruen, MP, Vice-President, was called to the chair. The meeting opened with singing and prayer’.

The Rev. JP Garrett commenced proceedings by reading a letter from William D Hull, hon sec of the Irish Society, which stated that the Carlow Auxiliary contributed more than any other auxiliary in the previous year. A letter was also received from Lady H Kavanagh enclosing a draft of £10 for the Auxiliary and £2 for the Protestant Orphan Society. The Rev. Garrett then turned to ‘the awful pestilence which swept through their town within a few months.

They stood as it were over the graves of five hundred of their fellow creatures who a short time since enjoyed the same life and health as they did that day, and how grateful to Almighty God they should feel for all his mercies, when they were spared, while so many were struck down by the fearful visitation. He then proposed that the Words of Divine Truth upon which salvation depended should be conveyed to Ireland’s ‘poor benighted countrymen through the medium of their own language’ a language so dear to the heart of the Irish (hear, hear). He begged to remind the meeting that 66,000 of the Irish-speaking people of Ireland die yearly, hitherto neglected, without Christ or a knowledge of the true way of salvation.

The Irish Society had extended itself into 16 counties, had 63 auxiliaries, 823 schools and teachers, above 33,000 scholars, and had distributed about 30,000 Bibles, Testaments and Elementary Books in the Irish language during the past year. He concluded with an earnest appeal on behalf of the Society.

Captain Bunbury then proposed the following resolution:

‘That we rejoice to hear of the continual and increasing disposition of the Irish speaking population to receive Scriptural instruction in their own language, and of the success with which it has pleased God to accompany the operations of the Irish Society during the past year. We are strengthened in our convictions that the principles and proceedings of this Society are eminently calculated to meet the great Spiritual wants of the Irish speaking population, and we confidently affirm that without the free use of God’s Holy Word and sound Scriptural instruction, our country never can be prosperous and happy.

We therefore, are determined in God’s strength to continue our support of this Society both by our fervent prayers and contribution, and we earnestly entreat our English brethren to give us more efficient aid to carry out this work of love and mercy on our native land’.

Echoing a sentiment my father would empathize with, the Rev. Thomas Moriarty took up the argument. ‘The Irish were the most religious people in the world and if, at the Reformation, the Holy Scripture had been expounded to them in their native language, Ireland would not now be a disunited people, inveigled in ignorance and sin, but would enjoy the freedom which shone so conspicuous ion England and Scotland’. [The Carlow Sentinel, 1832 -1920, Local Studies Department, Carlow Central Library.]

Note from Michael Purcell 2012

In 1570 Queen Elizabeth 1 commissioned the first ever printing of the Bible and other religious tracts in the Irish language. During her recent vist the present Queen Elizabeth viewed one of the books in Trinity College. It was said that Elizabeth 1 spoke Irish to the Irish chieftains when they called on her in London in 1562.

Reopening Of Rathvilly Church 1849

On December 15th 1849, The Carlow Sentinel reported on the ‘Reopening Of Rathvilly Church’. On Sunday, the 2nd instant, the Parish Church of Rathvilly was reopened for divine service, having been closed for extension and improvement during several months when the Hon and Ven Archdeacon Stopford preached an appropriate sermon on the occasion. A lathe addition has been built to this chapel, principally in the ‘Tudor style’ of architecture, and is capable of affording ninety new sittings. It consists of transept and recessed chancel, with vestry entrance and porches. The external appearance of the edifices presents those peculiar features of English Church architecture, not only in the construction of the new work, but also by the introduction of suitable tracery windows into the old portion of the building, which gives the entire a finished appearance.

The interior is fitted up in a style corresponding with the exterior. The pulpit is made of old Irish oak, beautifully panelled and enriched with elaborately carved figures and foliage ornaments. The reading desk is also tastefully adorned with rich Gothic trancery, as are also the chancel, ceiling and walls, especially the ceiling which, after an elegant design, is formed of ribbed oak. The architect was the late Daniel Robertson, Esq, an eminent Scotchman, whose designs were chaste and original, and his views were ably carried out by Mr Kingsmill, the well-known and distinguished builder.

The funds for this enlargement so necessary to accommodate the increasing congregation of the parish was raised by subscription, through the active, and we may add, the unceasing effort of the worthy rector, the Rev. J.B. Magennis. Among the subscribers we may allude to Colonel Bunbury, whose munificent donations amounted to £500. The county members subscribed largely; also the Hon. Wingfield Stratford, the Messrs Duckett and Hutchinsons, and many others who must feel a pride in contemplating a work dedicated to the service of the Almighty, while affording a praiseworthy encouragement to the unprecedented exertions and well-directed zeal of the rector, who first proposed the enlargement of the church. Well might the venerable preacher, when addressing a crowded congregation on the auspicious occasion referred to, remark that Protestant zeal or feeling was not on the decline while such edifices exhibited the zeal and piety of those who assisted in its erections.

Attack On William Drury 1850

On 5th January 1850, The Carlow Sentinel reported on a meeting of Magistrates at the Tullow Courthouse that took place on December 15th 1849, with Sir Thomas Butler, Bart, in the chair. The magistrates in attendance were Captain McClintock Bunbury, MP; the Hon Somerset R Maxwell, James Butler, John James Lecky, John Whelan, William Duckett, Clement Wolseley, Hugh Faulkner, James H Eustace and CH Tuckey, RM, Esq. The meeting concerned an incident at 9pm on the evening of the 9th when some unknown person or persons fired a shot through the window of the residence of William Drury of Raheen, Forth, Co. Carlow, and wounded his daughter severely in the face.

The magistrates expressed their abhorrence at ‘such a diabolical outrage in our hitherto peaceable county’ and gathered together with the county’s gentlemen and landholders to procure money to distribute to anyone who came forward in the next six months with information leading to the arrest of the guilty party. The Earl of Bessborough led proceedings with a £10 donation, a sum echoed by all the magistrates, while the gentlemen pitched in between £5 and £10 and the landholders between £1 and £5.

Source: Turtle Bunbury <>

Carlow SentinaL 1896

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP