No. 1 was a Public House in
1901 owned by Ellen Patterson who was a grocer by trade. By 1934
numbers 1 & 2 was owned by John Brennan who had a Pawnbroking, Leather
and Shoe business.
No's 2 - 4 according to the
1901 census were shops but were uninhabited.
No. 2 in 1913 was owned by
Molly Conroy. It was advertised as "The house for all home
No. 5 was a bakers in 1901
and was owned by Edward Kinerney. In 1934 this was owned by Jack Walsh
and his sister who had a High Class Machine Bakery, Confectionary and
a Flour Meal & Barn Store at No's. 5 & 6.
No. 6 Almost 12 years later
was owned by Donnelly's Bakery and there after it was owned by Walsh's
until 1963 when it was owned by William Dunny & Family who had a
Confectionary & Grocery business. This shop was originally a Pawn Shop.
No. 7 in 1901 was a Public
House and still is today. In 1913 it was open from 7am until 11pm.
No. 8 was originally a
Provision Merchant run by Laurence and his sister Bridget Brennan. In the 1911 census the
same person appears to have moved to No. 18 Castle Street.
No. 9 in 1901 census was Vacant.
No. 10 This was an Iron Monger
and Tanner's in 1901 owned by William Jackson.
No. 11 was a William Burns aged 32 Male Head of Family Presbyterian
from Co Donegal Merchant Not Married and his sister Margaret aged 34
Female a Presbyterian from Co Donegal Housekeeper. Source: 1901 Census
No. 13 occupied by the Mooney
family (Source 1911 census.)
No 15 was Nolan's Grocery
otherwise know as Dandy Buttons. In 1934 the premises were occupied by
Thomas Reddy who ran a Family Grocer and Provisions Merchant there.
No. 19 Castle Street, currently owned by Alan
London & Newcastle Tea Co.
(L&N) - Vintners
Residences in Castle Street in the 1901 census of Ireland:
1 Aherne 1 Keating 1 Leonard 1 Nolan 1 Patterson 5 Kinarney 6
Bacon 6 Brennan 6 Comerford 6 Lawler 6 Mc Donnell 6 Nolan 7 Wilson
8 Brennan 10 Jackson 10 Whelan 11 Burns 11 Little 11 Seaford 11
Some of these
pictures previously appeared in
old postcards Vol. 2 / Vol. 3
& Carlow in Old
Picture Postcards by Michael Purcell. (1994/99 & 2000)
Thanks also to W Muldowney, Carloman, J Brennan &
J Farrell for their contributions.