BACK

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Castletown Castle

Pollerton Road, Carlow


Castletown Castle Map 1850
Castletown Castle
The entrance to Castletown House
Castletown Castle
Castletown Castle
Bunclody Road
Carlow
County Carlow

Tower-House - "A small 19th Tudor/Gothic house incorporating a truncated tower-house which was greatly altered by William Roberston in 1835." ???? - Owned by - Kavanaghs, Bagenals, George Carew and the Earl of Kildare

1780's - Owned by - Thomas "Buck" Whaley

1932 - Owned by - Monohan Family

Castletown Castle - Bunciody Road, Carlow - A small 19th Tudor/Gothic house incorporating a truncated tower-house which was greatly altered by William Roberston in 1835. Now a fine neo-gothic castle with beautifully cut ashlar granite featuring the usual ornate Robertson hallmarks.

The original castle had several owners including the Kavanaghs, Bagenals, George Carew and the Earl of Kildare. Its owner for a short period in the I780's was the wayward Thomas "Buck" Whaley, who squandered a fortune of 60,000 and estates in three counties before he died, almost penniless, in 1800, aged 34. Castletown has been owned by the Monahan family since 1932.

Image of Castle from "Come Capture Castles" by Victor Hadden 


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP