Centenary Supplement 1883-1983.
from Sheila Scowcroft Nov 2012
Collier bought the hotel 31 December 1913 to house
his growing family, but had to maintain the
license. He created a bar in the room whose window
is to the left of the front door in the picture
and a grocery shop in the room to the right. When
he died in 1926 his wife Ruby continued the
business whilst bringing up their 10 children.
Their son Robert A Collier eventually took it
over. Anyone drinking Guinness there until about
1970 would know that the official address is 4
Centaur Street because it was printed in the
center of every label to show that was where it
had been bottled. When Robert A sold the business
to Ewings about 1975 he had already closed the
grocery section and converted the whole ground
floor into a bar. 'As a related item you might be
interested to know that the deed of 1913 quotes an
Indenture of Lease dated 30 November 1848
indicating that the land of the current Town-hall
was the property of Robert Ferralls Brewery.
email from a granddaughter of Robert M and Ruby
Collier with support from the daughter of Robert