All images above taken by
Janet & Michael Brennan ©2009
- Map c.1837-39
- Map supplied by J.J.
- The archway pictured at the top can be seen quit clearly in
this old photo which appeared in the book "Carlow See Ireland
First". It also reveals how much of the castle has been demolished
in the last 80 plus years.
As described in a 1930's tourist information book "Carlow See Ireland
On the other side of the Barrow is Clogrennan Castle,
about two miles distant from Carlow. The old Castle at the entrance to
the demesne was built by Sir. Edmond Butler (who had joined the great
Earl of Desmond in his revolt) probably to guard the ford which crossed
the Barrow at that point. In 1568 the castle withstood a remarkable
siege when eight men held it against Sir Peter Carew. Near the
ivy-covered ruin of the old castle a tunnel has been discovered, said to
connect Clogrennan with White's Castle (the modern house on
Graiguecullen Bridge is built on the site of this castle) .and Carlow
Castle. A considerable stretch of wood covers part of the demesne of
Clogrennan, but the road enclosing it, and winding up hill all the time,
is well worth following. It is very steep, but the surface is good.
Beyond Ballinbranna School, and, higher up again, at Bilboa, one must
pause and look about at the wide stretch of varied scenery spread
beneath. Here one sees the full extent of the Barrow Valley, surrounded
by lofty chains of mountains. In the bosom of the valley hamlets and
farmhouses dot the scene. The houses of Carlow town cluster down by the
river, standing as it were, between the new and the old. The white
concrete walls and roof of the Beet Factory gleam away to the far left,
and at the right glowers the old Castle, battered by time and war and
stupidity The old church of Cloydagh is now in ruins and surrounded by a
burial ground within the Clongrennan demesne. It was built of chiselled
granite, and, a beautiful Gothic window is still intact.
The following is from the 'Archaeological
Inventory of County Carlow.' p. 65 & 89:
- Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites
- 547 CLOGRENAN
- OS 7:13:1 (61,131) 'Church (in ruins), Graveyard' OD 300-400
- Church and graveyard Undifferentiated late medieval parish
church of Cloydagh. According to ITA Survey (1945), church
attached to Augustinian Monastery of Great Connall, Co. Kildare.
Remains consist of rectangular church (ext Dims 19.3m x 7.10m),
of limestone rubble with granite quoins. Church has opposed N
and S doorways and late medieval window with pointed arch of
chamfered granite. Plain window in S wall of chancel. May
incorporate parts of earlier structure, suggested by blocked
narrow lintelled ope in N wall close to W end. Door in S wall
formerly included face mask with bulbous features (possibly
modern) on W jamb; arch and jamb now removed. Piscina with
moulded granite surround at E end of S wall. Incorporated in W
gable is stone with incised cross, of pre-Norman date.
- 7:39 15-1-1992
- 736 CLOGRENAN
- OS 7:9:6 (160,193) 'Clogrennan Castle (in ruins)'
- OD 100-200 26978,17362
Castle (site) Sited at former important crossing point on
River Barrow. Sketch by Thomas Dineley (1680) shows large house
of five floors, three decorative gables at front and crenellated
parapet at sides. Sketch of 1790 shows ruins in remarkably
similar condition to photograph taken in 1870. Derelict
buildings surveyed in 1911, major part of which collapsed or
were demolished in 1931. Original castle probably substantially
rebuilt after Carew's seige of 1569. Present 'Gothic' style arch
and windows probably belong to late eighteenth-century
refurbishment which seems to have extended to church and
graveyard to N (no. 547). In 1806 work commenced on Clogrenan
House and former 'castle1 was transformed into entranceway to
demesne. Unlikely that much of fifteenth- or sixteenth-century
structure survived to 1911. Some overgrown foundations still
survive, including small portion of entrance way, all of which
appear to belong to eighteenth-century refurbishment.
- (OSL 1839, 34-5; JKAS 1915-17, 56-62; JRSAl 1862-3, 42; OPW
- 7:33 18-8-1988
- Source: Archaeological Inventory of County Carlow. P. 65
- Source of Clogrennan Castle image: ebay
- Clogrennan Castle once owned by - Kavanaghs (no date).
- 1490 - Castle purchased by - Earls of Arran, Dukes of
- 1568 - Castle taken by - Sir P. Carew from the Kavanaghs who
then became tenants on the estate.
- Sir Peter Carew (1514–27 November 1575) was a Devonshire
adventurer, who served during the reign of Queen Elizabeth of
England and became a controversial figure in the Tudor
re-conquest of Ireland.
c1600 - Residence of - Sir E. Butler, 10th Duke of
1641 - Castle attacked by - Irish Rebels.
Source: The Castles of Ireland Leinster Province :
County Carlow Compiled by Lee Johnson.
An engraving by G. Allen showing part of the demesne
surrounding the home of Colonel Rochfort. The engraving was made for
a book entitled "The Medical Mentor; a new guide to fashionable
watering places" by F. F. Hayden. It was published in Carlow by
Richard Price in 1822.
The Rochfort family were
established at Clogrenan, parish of Cloydagh, county Carlow, from
the early 18th century. They acquired lands in the parish of
Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, through the marriage in
1722 of John Rochfort and a daughter of Thomas Staunton, Member of
Parliament. A sale rental dated 1856 of estates in counties Galway
and Wexford shows that most of the county Galway lands were held in
fee simple but some were held on a lease dated 9 April 1781 from
John Skerrett to John Rochford. The county Galway estate included a
townland in the parish of Ahascragh, barony of Killian, also
recorded as the property of Col. Rochfort in the Ordnance Survey
Field Name Books. The barony of Clare estate was bought by a branch
of the Blake family. John Egan was agent for the Rochfort estate in
the 1830s and held one of the townlands at the time of Griffith's
- The information contained
in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing
with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
TOP OF PAGE