HISTORY

 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Dates of Importance in Carlow Town’s History

by Annie C Parker-Byrne

Source: Carloviana - December 1998

YEAR EVENT
1207 William Marshall erected a stone castle near the river Barrow in Carlow Town around which the town grew.
1361 Lionel, son of Edward III Lord Lieutenant spent £500 for fortifying the town of Carlow with walls.
1405 Art McMurragh burned Carlow
1604 Carlow Castle was granted to Donogh, Earl of Thomond.
1607 The Earl of Thomond gave a plot of land to the Catholics to be used as a burial ground. This is the Old Graves on the Barrow Track where Bishop O’Keeffe (1793) is buried.
1690 James 11 spent a night in “The Globe Inn” - now “Lamberts” Dublin Street, Carlow
1726 St. Mary’s Protestant Church was built on the site of an older church.
1793 St. Patrick’s College was opened - the first seminary to be opened in Ireland after the Penal days
1798 The Insurrection in Carlow resulted in around 1,200 people being slaughtered, of whom around 600 are buried in the Croppy Grave in Graiguecullen. They are remembered annually by local organisations.
1811 The Presentation Sisters were established. Their convent, primary and secondary schools, were formerly in Tullow Street.
1815 The bridge over the River Barrow was widened and renamed Wellington Bridge.
1819 James Doyle became Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin. He became known as J.K.L.
1827 Thomas Corcoran established “The Mineral Water Factory” which later became known as “Governey’s Thomas Corcoran’s widow married Michael Governey and the family took an active part in the business for a long number of years. Its trademark was Carlow Castle.
1828 Carlow Cathedral was built on the site of an older church built in 1792 and was opened in 1833 by JK L who died 6 months later.
1830 A new roof and spire by Cobden was put on St. Mary’s Protestant Church.
1837 The Mercy sisters were established. They taught St. Joseph’s Junior Boys, St. Catherine’s Junior and St. Leo’s Senior Girls as well as nursing the poor and elderly in the Old Union, the Sacred Heart Home and now in the new Sacred Heart Hospital, Bethany House and St. Fiaac’s House.
1841 Colonel Bruen and Daniel O’Connell, son of the Liberator, contested the Carlow election, which Bruen won by a small majority. With money that his supporters gave him as a gift he built a lovely church “St Annes” on the Athy Road, Carlow.
1844/1846 These years saw the Great Famine in Carlow where thousands died from cholera and hunger. Soup kitchens were set up in the town to relieve poor peoples hardship.
1847 Knockbeg College. a preparatory college for St. Patrick’s Diocesan College, was opened.
1859 The foundation of the Christian Brother’s Monastery, primary and secondary schools for boys.
1880/1914 During the land war and the struggle for home rule huge meetings were held in Carlow.
1883 The Nationalist and Leinster Times was founded and this weekly newspaper is widely read.
1893 The foundation year of the Poor Clares Convent in Graiguecullen.
1903 Governeys Boot and Shoe Factory was established by Michael Governey, owner of the Mineral Water Factory who resided at “Barrowville”, Kilkenny Road. Carlow. He was one of the City Fathers, as were his son and grandson in later years.
1923 The Irish Army moved from the old barracks down to “The Union” on the Kilkenny Road. The Mercy Sisters and patients were transferred from there up to The Barracks in Barrack Street and continued their work in the Sacred Heart Home until the new hospital was built. Bethany House stands on part of the grounds of the Old Barracks.
1926 The first Irish Sugar Beet factory was erected with branches in Mallow, Thurles and Tuam in later years.
1927 Carpenters Brothers, Bar, Grocery and Undertakers was opened in Barrack Street by two brothers Nicholas and Patrick Carpenter. Nicholas, who never married, was a City Father for many years. His nephew, Paddy, followed in his footsteps as does his grand-nephew, Nicholas, today. Carpenters continue to give service as good as ever, if not better, after 71 years in business.
1928 St. Anne’s Church, Graiguecullen was opened. This Church was erected with the stone from St. Anne’s Church, Athy Road (built in the 1840’s,).
1935 The Barrow Mills was re-opened. This was formerly “Shackleton’s” - a famous Quaker family from Ballytore.
1961 The new Protestant National School opened on the Green Road. The Old School and Master’s House ~n Barrack Street is now the office of SIP. T. U. and “Avoca” is the surgery of Dr. Brendan Doyle.
1962 Erin Foods opened their factory on the Cannery Road
1968 The new Post Office opened at Kennedy Avenue beside the Old Bridewell Lane. The Old Post Office in Dublin Street is now the local office of Irish Life.
1970’s  During this period a new outdoor swimming pool was opened in the Town Park. This pool is now closed and has been replaced by a heated indoor swimming pool in Graiguecullens Old School. Houses are to be built on the Town Park, now called the “Shaw Park”. Once there will be no play area for the children of Carlow Town.
1980’s This period has seen a “Boom” in building. Carlow Castle is surrounded by houses and apartments as is the Sacred Heart Home (formerly the Old Barracks) and this developemnt is known as “Crosbie” Place. Carlow Town is stretched out with houses on the Kilkenny, Tullow and Dublin Roads. Paupish or the Burren Road is no longer “country”. Such is the boom!
1990’s  
1 “Hanover Park” opened near Quinnsworth but with no seating for the elderly or children’s play area. Lovely to walk through.
2 “Tintean” houses erected in Graiguecullen and Carlow. Congratulations to all concerned and to those lucky enough to occupy same.
3 Superquinn Shopping Centre opened on site of Old Gaol.
4 New Centre for Senior Citiozens opened on Dublin Road.
5 Two houses, over 200 years old, demolished at 4.30 am.. July 5th, 1996 at Little Barrack Street, Carlow - “Gallipot Lane”.
6 Remaining wall of Old Barracks demolished to widen Little Barrack Street to facilitate traffic now using old street for access to Burren Road developments.  The Wall some 30 feet high was erected circa 1780.
7 The beautiful trees at Carlow Courthouse were cut down - one wonders why?
8 The Presentation Convent and School no longer houses Nuns or Students. All that remains of the Presentations Sisters at this location is the Sisters “Last Resting Place in the middle of Cathedral Close Development, adjacent to the Cathedral of the Assumption.
9 “Battle” between “Friends of the Cathedral” and Clergy - No winners - only losers in this baffle.
10 “Danoli” brought fame to County Carlow - his owner, Danny O’Neill is a famous and well known bone setter near Myshall.
11 “Old Carlow Society” celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP