School is a very familiar landmark to all and must often have prompted
us to ponder over its origins. D'Israeli whose name was given to the
school was born in 1766. In 1783 D'Israeli was apprenticed to Richard
Bayley, a member of the Dublin Society of Public Notaries. Public
Notaries drew up and attested documents, engaged in stock-broking, money
lending, insurance and dealing in lotteries. He finished his
apprenticeship in 1788 and continued in the business of lotteries,
becoming so successful that by 1804 he had acquired extensive property
in Suffolk Street, Essex Street, and Palmerston.
With his newfound wealth he purchased
from his friend Mr. Hoare Hume of Kiltegan
where he took up residence in 1809. He was appointed High Sheriff of
Carlow in 1810. His stock exchange friend Mr. Hugh Cuming bought the
land adjoining Beechy Park at Bough. D'Israeli died a bachelor on 9th
August 1814 at the age of 48.
Among the various provisions of his will was a bequest
to the Bishop of Leighlin and Ferns and the Minister and Church wardens
of the parish of Rathvilly of a sum of money to be used for the erection
of a school close to the town of Rathvilly. A site at Bough was
purchased in 1823 from Mr. Hugh Cuming. The commissioners of education
appointed Mr. Joseph Welland as architect for the project.
The building was completed in 1826. Average attendance
at the school in 1835 was 55. Subsequently some of the masters kept an
average of a dozen boarders at the school. In 1939 the school, at the
request of the board of governors was brought under the Department of
Education so securing payment of the teachers salary from public funds.
The school then carried on as a primary school until
Easter 1977 when the pupils were transferred to Baltinglass with the
introduction of the bus service and rationalisation. The school building
was subsequently purchased from the Commissioners of Charities by the
parishioners of St. Mary's Church, Rathvilly.
Carloviana 1983. Vol 2. No. 31 p.11.
- Carlow Sentinel, Oct. 1892.
- D'Israeli School.
- Rathvilly, County Carlow.
- Principal - James C. Long.
- Certificated Science and Art, London: Ex. Sch. Incor.
- Late Assistant Master Bandon Grammar School.
- School Re-opened.
- VACANCY FOR BOARDERS.
- Preparation for Intermediate, Banks, Civil Service, and
- Special attention given to young and backward pupils. The
School stands on five acres in a healthy locality.
- For terms apply to the Principal.
Source: Michael Purcell from PPP
D'Israeli School. Rathvilly.
By Michael Quane.
An Act for establishing a
Lottery, and for granting to his Majesty a Sum of two hundred thousand
Pounds to be raised thereby"1 was passed by the Irish
Parliament in 1779. This Act inaugurated the series of twenty-four State
Lotteries which were held in Ireland during the pro-Union period
1780-1800 under the supervision of Commissioners appointed by the
Treasury. The system adopted by the Government for the distribution of
tickets in the Irish Lotteries was by allocation of quotas to approved
brokers who were enabled to make payment by instalments. Tickets in the
English State Lotteries had a
large sale in Ireland up to 1780.
Thereafter both Irish and English tickets were available, and several
sales offices were licenced for operation in Dublin.
“The Office Keepers in
Ireland interduced all practices calculated to entice coin fron the
public, ... A licence for setting up an office for handling and dealing
in British or Irish lottery tickets was necessary unless not less than
ten tickets were sold at a time, and 200 tickets had to be deposited
with the officer for stamping shares, and £5OO in the Bank of Ireland.
Two books only were to be used in each office for entering events of
drawing, and division of tickets into smaller parts than one-sixteenth
was not permitted. Offices were not to be opened before 7 or after 10
p.m. except on the eve of drawing. A licence for a lottery office had to
be on a £1OO stamp."2
The Hibernian Journal, of
November:- 3-6, 1780, contains ten columns of advertisements of which
five are devoted to announcements by nine different brokers. Amongst
"Richard Hayly, Public Notary,
most respectfully begs leave to inform his Friends and the Public, that
he is now issuing at his STATE LOTTERY OFFICE, No. 52 Essex street
(licensed and appointed by Government) POLICIES at Five Shillings and
Five Pence and Two Shillings and Eight pence Halfpenny each, by which may
be gained the following sums . ."
In the issue of the same
newspaper for November 15-17, 178O, under the title, "Lottery Tickets
Insured, " Richard "Bayly announced in connection with the drawing of
the English Lotteries that he had "at a considerable Expense,
established an Express from London which he expects will arrive after
each Day's Drawing, he will therefore take Insurance 'till Ten o'clock
of the Night succeeding the Day of Drawing Insured for — The Public may
therefore insure with as much Safety and Satisfaction as if the Drawing
was on the Spot."
19 & 20 Geo. III, c.5.
C. L’Estrange Ewen, Lotteries and Sweepstakes, pp.
Please report any images or
broken links which do not open to
- The information
contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of
sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,