The solemn blessing of the park by the Rev. J.J. Dunny, administrator, Carlow, opened the proceedings. Prayers were recited and the Carlow pipers band played religious hymns. Thomas Ryan President of Co. Carlow G.A.A. (Gaelic Athletic Association) presided at the ceremony. Padraig McNamee, President of the Ulster Council of the G.A.A. represented the President of the Association, who was absent at another engagement in Roscommon that day. Many local clergy were present on the occasion. A number of local dignitaries also attended including James Reddy who was the County Carlow Secretary during the early 1898-1890 period. A message of apology for non-attendance was received from Eamon de Valera, President of Ireland, and also from the Minister for Education, Thomas Derrig, T.D.
The tri-colour flew over the new Gaelic Park and towered "over the surrounding trees". Carlow had waited over 50 years for its County Grounds. Dr. Cullen Park continues to be a popular venue for inter-club and inter-county matches throughout the sporting year.
Dr. Cullen Park in the 1960's The ground's establishment was first mooted in 1935. Dr. Cullen Park was officially opened on August 9th, 1936 by Patrick McNamee of the G.A.A. A total expenditure of £3,590 and 15 shillings was accounted for at the first audit. This sum included the purchase of the land.
By the 1960's Dr. Cullen Park still lacked a stand. However it did have a fine playing pitch newly fenced, to prevent encroachment by spectators. The park was also equipped with good dressing rooms, hot and cold water and showers, a referee's dressing room and board rooms.
In the summer of 1967, major improvements were carried out. A tarmacadamed entrance was provided. Wrought iron entrance gates, inscribed "Páirc an Cullainaigh" were built by Joseph Bennett Steel Contractors of Stradbally, Co. Laois for a sum of £320. This firm were also the builders of the entrance gates to Fr. Maher Park in Graiguecullen on the Laois side of Carlow town. The first match played in Dr. Cullen park was the Leinster Junior Football Final Kildare v Wicklow, this match was played on the 2nd August 1936 a week before the official opening of the new County Grounds.