CARLOW HISTORY

 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Carlow Union Electoral Divisions 1840

Source: Carlow Library

 

Carlow Union Electoral Divisions

The Poor Relief (Ireland) Act became law on July 31st 1838. It provided for the establishment of Boards of Guardians who operated in areas known as Poor Law Unions. In February, 1840 it was reported with surprise in the Carlow Sentinel that the Poor Law had not yet been adopted in Carlow. On July 18th of that year a notice appeared in the same local paper announcing a meeting "for the purpose of explaining the arrangements contemplated for the formation of a Union". This meeting was convened by R.M. Muggeridge, Assistant Poor Law Commissioner on July 23rd 1840 in Carlow Courthouse. A number of Landed Proprietors and other gentlemen were in attendance.

The following also attended:

     
Sir Thomas Butler Bart,   James Butler,
Col. Bruen,   Peter Gale,
Robert Clayton Browne,   John Watson,
William Duckett,   Joseph Fishbourne,
Henry Faulkner,   William Fishbourne,
William Garrett,   Samuel Elliott,
James H. Eustace,   Thomas H. Watson,
John James Lecky,   Thomas Haughton,
William R. Stewart,   Samuel Haughton,
William Cope Cooper,   John Nolan,
William Fishbourne (snr),   William Robert Lecky,
William Fishbourne (jnr),   John Watson.
Bishop Haly    

 a number of clergy and many cess payers were also at the meeting.

Bishop Francis Haly was Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin from 1838-1855. He was a native of Doonane Parish in the Queen's County (Co. Laois) and was educated at Maynooth College, which he entered in 1807. His first appointment as a priest was to the parish of Rathvilly in Co. Carlow. Dr. Haly died on the 19th August, 1855. He is buried beside Dr. James Warren Doyle (J.K.L.) in Carlow Cathedral.

The Assistant Poor Law Commissioner stated that the first thing to be done was the marking out of the Boundaries for the Union. The area of the Poor Law Union was to consist of "the entire Baronies of Carlow, Idrone East and Idrone West in the County of Carlow, and the Barony of Slievemargy in Queen County, also the whole of the Barony of Forth (with the exception of a part of the parish of Barragh) and the parishes of Tullowphelim, Fenagh and Ardristan in the Barony of Rathvilly and of four townlands in the County of Kildare".

The Union was to be divided into fourteen electoral divisions. Eleven divisions in were in County Carlow and three in the Queens' County.

Source: Carlow Library


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP