This picture affords us a
rare view of Carlow Gas Works which was situated at the end of
Montgomery Street (now Greenvale Bacon factory). William Brennan of
Bridewell Lane worked here all his life. This picture is courtesy of
his grandson Willie Brennan of Graiguecullen. The Carlow Gaslight
Company was established in 1846. The site pictured above was leased
to the Gas Company by Francis Malcolm-son. The large building to
the left was formerly Mr. Bewley's textile factory and later it was
used as a malthouse by the Kane Brothers. The area was at a lower
level than most of the town and was, we are told, ideally suited for
distributing gas. The supply ceased in 1956 when the works closed.
Source of Gas Works image:
Carlow in old
picture postcards Volume 2 by Michael Purcell 1999. Image No. 67.
The “Carlow Gaslight Joint Stock
Company”was situated on Mr Malcomsons property at the end of
Montgomery St., (now Greenvale Meats).
In Slater's Directory of 1870
Co. Carlow a Mr. William Farrady, is mentioned as the manager of the
Gas Works, in Montgomery St. Carlow.
After the Gas Works closed this
property became Brennan’s Bacon Factory according to Pat O'Mahony
Memoirs “Carlow Through The Eyes of A “Blow-In”"
The Gas Works are also mentioned
in the 1911 census for Ireland. and George Francis Treacy, aged 22,
Married and living in Brown Street, Carlow (Fitter gas works)
Source: 1911 Census of Ireland
James (Jimmy) Meehan d.
worked in the Gas Works.