BACK

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Johnstown House

Co Carlow


Johnstown House
Source: Buildings of Ireland

Detached four-bay two-storey double-pile house with dormer attic, c.1725, on an asymmetrical plan with projecting chimney breasts. Renovated, c.1840, with Tudor Revival façade enrichments added including stepped gable, crenellations, turret finials and paired chimney stacks.

The original house was built on the foundations of an old medieval monastery. Apart from the Bunbury's the house had several owners over the years including John Champion in 1814, and later the Elliots and Fitzmaurices. It was rented in 1918 by Corry Langrishe Connellan. Hi daughter, Phyllida Connellan married Walter Couchman, who was knighted when he became Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy.

Source: 'The Carlow Gentry' p.69


BACK to Gentry Houses

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM

TOP