TOWNS
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Killerig

Co. Carlow


Map of St. John the Baptist Preceptory Church Killerig (in ruin) and graveyard Co. Carlow.
Map from the OSi Mapviewer
Google Street View of St. John the Baptist Preceptory Church Killerig (in ruin) and graveyard Co. Carlow. 2009

Killerrig

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILLERICK, or KILLERRIG, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Carlow, on the river Slaney; containing, with part of the suburbs of the post-town of Tallow, 1261 inhabitants. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in the reign of King John, by Gilbert .de Bocard, which, at the suppression of that order, was granted to the Knights Hospitallers, and, at the general dissolution, to Sir Gerard Aylmer.

 In 1331, the Irish burnt the church, with the priest and eighty persons who had assembled in it; but the Pope ordered the Archbishop of Dublin to excommunicate all the persons engaged in the perpetration of this atrocious act, and to lay their lands under an interdict.

The parish comprises 3841 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 3405 per annum, which, with the exception of about 100 acres, is good arable and pasture land. The principal seats are Duckett's Grove, the residence of J. D. Duckett, Esq.; and Russell's-town Park, of W. Duckett, Esq.

It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Urglin: the rectory is impropriate in Messrs. Humphreys and Bunbury, who receive the tithes, amounting to 360, out of which 18. 9. 2. is paid to the curate. At Friarstown are the ruins of a castle and of a religious establishment.

(Thanks to Terry Curran  for providing this  material)


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP