- Killeshin old school Coach
House and Church.
The first National School in Killeshin was built
in 1821. The school as you can see from the photograph below was a
gothic style two-storey stone building. This school building was
knocked in 1979. The Church of the Holy Cross can be seen above
the old school building.
- Killeshin Old School and
The small building to the right of the school was
the Coach House, now long gone. Locals remember it being used to
house the Priest's horse when he came to say Mass at Holy Cross
Church long ago.
present National School at Killeshin was built in 1948 as a
two-roomed or two-teacher school. The teachers at the time were
Principal Mr. SeŠn ” Shea and Miss Noud.
Killeshin NS information: http://homepage.eircom.net/~staffkins/
Killeshin School 1910
This is Killeshin school pupils in 1910 which includes the
older pupils. ó with Willie Gaffney, William Connelly,
Maryanne Pender, Jimmy Delaney, Joe Kehoe, A. Annie Brennan,
Tom Nolan, Michael Connelly, Patsey Purcel, Nellie Rourke,
Dick Kehoe, Annie Connelly, Patsy Dowling, Mary Horley, Tommy
Malone, Crissie Fitzpatrick, May Gaffney, John Curran, Katie
Pender, Cissie Doogue, Eaddie Brennan, Lizzie Curran and Annie
Source: Anna Nolan Gough
- Killeshin School 1910
Killeshin school 1910 but the younger class ó with Maggie
Rourke, Bridie Connelly, Joe Toole, Martin Curran, Ciss
Brennan, Dan Pender, Joe Connelly, Leslie M. Nolan, Pat
Brennan, Mary Boltan, Bill Keefe, Tommie Reilly, May
Dowling, Jim Pender, Martin Connelly, Paddy Delaney, Katie
Toole, Bill Doran, Annie Pender, Eddie Pender, James
Brennan and Sarah Dempsey.
Source: Anna Nolan Gough
- This photo was taken outside
Killeshin Old School in the early 1930's. Photo includes: (at
the back) Molly Lyons, Ce... Drennan, Maggie Grant, Maggie
McDonnell, Gre... Brennan, Nancy Proctor, Julia Grant. Centre:
Maggie Brennan, K. Brennan, ..... Kelly, Masie Nelson, Mo...
Brennan, .... Kelly, Maggie Brophy, Annie Brennan, Katie
Mullins, Brid Carroll. Front: Tommy Whi..., John Fitzpatrick,
Wm. Fitzpatrick, John Malone, Mi.. Fitzpatrick, ..... .....?, Martin
Curran, Tom Mullins, D..ny Hennessy, ..... .....?, Berney
- There are 8 girls on the back row
but there are only 7 names listed.
- There are 11 girls in the middle
row but only 10 names listed.
- Photo provided by Anna Nolan
Nationalist and Leinster Times.
30th April and May 14th, 1949.
Built Killeshin's New School.
Killeshin Sunday is on May 18th. It will
be an unusually proud day for the people of Killeshin, for the
Lord Bishop of the Diocese, Most Rev. Dr. Keogh, will be there to
open and bless the new school.
It is hoped that the Minister for
Education with officials of his department, as well as officials
of the Board of Works, will be present at the ceremony.
The school - built by Mr Michael Purcell,
Coal Market, Carlow - was visited recently by Mr Akerlind, Board
of Works Engineer, who praised its solid but graceful appearance.
The Contractor, Michael Purcell, has
family ties with Killeshin, and it is a matter of pride to the
local residents of the area that one of their own people should
have built the school.
It was the first building undertaking Mr
Purcell completed under the Board of Works.
Dedicated to the local Saint Comgan, the
new school replaces the building beside the Church which was
erected during the Episcopate of J.K.L. (Bishop James Doyle),
which, was seen through modern eyes, is a draughty, out of date
The cost of the new school was
approximately £4.500, two-thirds granted by the Board of Works
while the parishioners contributed the remainder.
Situated on the main Castlecomer-Carlow
road, it is built on a plot of ground generously made available by
Mr John McDonald, Clonmore.
Accommodation is provided for 80 children,
with all modern conveniences. It is supplied with water from the
nearby reservoir, and is fitted with washing basins and drinking
fountains. It is also connected to the Electricty Supply Board.
Compared with National Schools in rural
areas, Killeshin's new School stands out like a jewel.
The special preacher will be Rev. E.
Shine, B.A.. Senior Dean, St. Patrick's College, Carlow.
The procession leaves from St. Clare's
Church, Graiguecullen, at 10.30 a.m. for the three mile walk to
Killeshin, headed by the Men's and Women's Sections of the
Confraternity of the Holy Cross, Killeshin.
Other bodies to be represented will be the
Graiguecullen Sacred Heart Sodalities; St. Patrick's Branch Irish
National Foresters; Carlow Branch C.Y.M.S; Men's and Women's
Sections of the Knights of Malta; Carlow and Graiguecullen Troops
of the Catholic Boy Scouts and headed by the F.C.A. Band, under
A special feature of this year's
procession will be the attendance of Graiguecullen Schoolboys'
Fife and Drum Band.
At 12 o'clock, noon, His Lordship the
Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin will preside at High Mass in
The Faithful are reminded that a Plenary
Indulgence, applicable to the Holy Souls, may be gained by all,
who having been to Confession and received Holy Communion, pray
for the propagation of the Faith at Killeshin on May 3rd, the
Feast of the Finding of the Holy Cross, or within the Octave.
article appeared in the Carlow Nationalist on
1st November 2011
History repeats itself when it comes to bricks and mortar.
By Suzanne Fender
THEY SAY history always repeats itself. And in Killeshin National
School that certainly seems to be the case with the name Purcell
when it comes to bricks and mortar.
This old photograph, submitted this week by local historian
Michael Purcell, shows workers building Killeshin NS back in 1947.
The building contractor at the time was Michael Purcell of Coal
Market, Carlow, pictured here with his team of workers.
Coincidentally, the new building currently under construction in
Killeshin also has Purcellís at the helm, with Purcell
Construction from Galway in charge of providing the school with a
state-of-the-art new facility.
in this photograph at Killeshin NS in 1947 are, back: Michael
Purcell, Mikie O'Regan, Paddy Scully, Jim Byrne (The Numbers), Pat
Purcell, Harry Manning and Francie Rainsford; Front: Maurice May,
John Purcell, Martin O'Regan and Mick Dempsey.
John Purcell who emigrated to London in
the 1960s sadley died suddenly on Saturday 21st January 2012 while
visiting frends in Brentwood, Essex. He was the eldest son of the
late Michael Purcell and Esther Purcell of Coal Market, Kennedy
Street, Carlow. He was well known as a carpenter in Carlow
before he emigrated.
Carlow Nationalist on
1st November 2011
- The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved
TOP OF PAGE