INDEX
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Kiltennel

Co. Carlow


Kiltennel, "Cill-Senchill" means "the Church of St. Senchilll! Two saints of this name flourished in the 6th century at Killeigh, King's County, one styled Sinchell, senior, an Abbot, the other Senchill junior, a Bishop. The Patron is celebrated in Kiltennel on the 15th of June, that day being the feast day of Bishop Sennill, proves that he was the titular saint of the place.

The old parochial church is in ruins, as ia the extension which was added on at the beginning of the 18th century. Within the wall lies an ancient Baptismal font, round and pierced in the centre, these stone reservoirs are an indication that it had been a Roman Catholic place of worship.

In Ryan's History of Carlow 1833 the architecture in Kiltennel was described as the "coarsest architecture?

The following is an extract from Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of 1837 about Kiltennel, giving some idea as to the way it was then:- "containing 3.206 inhabitants. It comprises 1,826 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act and is in a wild district bordering on Mount Leinster, the living is a vicarage in the dioceses of Lelghlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to ?85 of which 250 is payable to the impropriator, and 135 to the vicar. The church, which is in Killedmond is a neat building. There are a parochial and a national school in which 280 children are educated; and two private schools in which are about 200 children? There is a holy well called "Tober-Modalamhan? St. Magdalen's Well about a quarter of a mile from the old church.

Among those buried in Kiltennel is a Lieutenant Stones who was killed by the insurgents in 1798, Tombstone No. 12. The oldest of the monumental inscriptions readable are those of James Cudhey, Tombstone No. 75 dated 1710, and Captain Edmond Byrne, Tombstone No. 71 dated 1712. The year of the consecration of the chapel by Dr. Edmund Byrne Archbishop of Dublin in 1709, gives an indication of how old this cemetery and ruins are.

Source: Clonagoose Tombstone Inscriptions published in 1985 by St. Mullins Muintir na Tire in [St. Mullins, Ireland]..


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the  purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

Back to the top