INDEX

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Lisnavagh School.

Co Carlow


Lisnavagh School, Lisnavagh Demesne, County Carlow c.1999

The School House at the back entrance of Lisnavagh was built between 1850 and 1855 by mason James Nolan and stonecutter Patrick Byrne for a total cost of 206 10s 10d, with a piggery and granite trough to the rear. William McClintock Bunbury and his uncle Kane Bunbury continued to carry out huge land improvements on their lands around Rathvilly at Lisnavagh, Knockboy, Tobinstown etc during the early 1850s.

The work includes rock removal, cleaving granite stones, installing drains, sinking drains and building outlets. John Byrne was paid 1s 8d for cleaving stones. Patrick Neill, Edward Fitzgerald, Peter Nolan and Thomas Cody were paid 6d a ton to cleave stones while the masons, John Griffith and James Nolan were paid 2s 6d for building the outlets. Denis Maguire and Patrick Byrne were paid one shilling a day 'for stoning the drains' and laying tiles, respectively. But labourers Michael Doyle, Joseph Hanlon and Thomas Hosey were only paid 6d a day for sodding the drains.

Also, in March 1847, Lisnavagh's architect Daniel Robertson wrote that the builder Henry Kingsmill 'had a full complement of 130 men working on the new house'. This workforce consisted of 35 labourers, 28 stonecutters, 30 masons, 23 stone cleavers, five brick makers and nine men hired with carts'. That same month, Kingsmill submitted an estimate of 4,820 to build the 'farm offices at Lisnavagh' which seems to mean the buildings in the farmyard quadrangle, including the Stewards House.

Turtle Bunbury


Page 5
[ Back to Page 1
]
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP