Lisnavagh House above
Lisnavagh House, Lisnavagh Demesne, County Carlow
Situated close to the River Slaney not far from Rathvilly in the north of Co Carlow, Lisnavagh House has been a family home for eleven generations. The estate covers almost 1,000 acres and includes Lisnavagh House, several cottages, grazing & tillage land, 250 acres of mainly hardwood woodland, the impressive Farmyard and Victorian gardens with 14 acres of Pleasure Grounds, including the gorgeous American Gardens, a majestic Irish Yew Walk, a walled garden, mixed borders and rock gardens. The original house at was built in 1696 by William Bunbury, whose father Benjamin emigrated from Cheshire to Ireland in the 1660s. In 1847, Captain William McClintock Bunbury, MP for Carlow, commissioned the Scottish architect Daniel Robertson to build a new house and farmyard at Lisnavagh.
The Tudor Revival mansion was substantially reduced in size in 1952. Lisnavagh has undergone substantial renovation since 2005. The restoration has been carried out using traditional materials, such as lime plaster and mortars. The name "Lisnavagh" is believed to come from the Irish Lios na BhFea, meaning 'garden' or enclosure of beech. The estate is fully owned and managed by the McClintock Bunbury family.
The Bunbury's descend from a Norman, the Baron de St Pierre, who served with William the Conqueror in 1066. Settled in Co Carlow since the 17th century, the Bunbury's quickly became an important part of the ruling elite in Ireland.
By 1860, the estate at Lisnavagh had evolved into one of the most advanced and efficient farms in the country. In 1879, Thomas McClintock Bunbury of Lisnavagh succeeded his uncle to become 2nd Lord Rathdonnell.
His great-grandson Benjamin, the present Lord Rathdonnell, succeeded to Lisnavagh in 1959. For a more detailed history of the McClintock Bunbury family, please visit http://www.turtlebunbury.com/family/bunburyfamily_lisnavagh.html
Nominal Roll of Labour employed at Lisnavagh
8th September 1932