Moyle is a lovely house, surrounded by chestnut
trees, with big windows that reach down to the
floor. It stands on a hill above the River Burrin,
once filled with trout, close to the farmyard. This
is good fertile tillage land with sturdy sheaves of
The house was built in the 18th
century and is believed to have originally been an
eight room farmhouse. Some work may have been done
on the house when Colonel Kane succeeded to his
share of the Kane family fortune on the death of his
mother in the 1830s.
Jeremy Williams, a kinsman of the
Kane Smiths, believes the house was remodelled in
1867 by John
McCurdy who was simultaneously working on
the Shelbourne Hotel. The contractor was
Joseph F. Lynch.
As steward to Colonel Bunbury, he appears to have
moved into Little Moyle at this time. The house
included an ‘atmospheric drawing room that retained
its original decoration until 1993’ and a fine
stained glass window.