- Lorum Church of Ireland Church
and part of the graveyard
Lorum Map 1900's
- The Church of the Good
Shepherd Lorum Church of Ireland Church
Evidence of three different churches can be found on
the site at Lorum. The 19th century seven-bay church stands on
elevated ground in a striking setting about 3.5 km from the River
Barrow. It was built about 1838 to the design of Frederick Darley
who also designed the gate piers which reflect the detailing of the
church. Closeby are the remains of an 18th century church while to
the south and east of this building are the barely discernible
traces of a much earlier church.
There was a monastic settlement in the area
associated with St. Laserian to whom a nearby well is dedicated.
Early nineteenth century sources record the presence of a 'steeple'
at this site which may indicate the former presence of a round
tower. The base of a high cross lies a few paces south of the 18th
Source: Google Maps & myposi.ie
Lorum Old Rectory
Medieval Lorum ]
Please report any links or images which do not open to
- The information contained
in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing
with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
IGP TM By
Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved
TOP OF PAGE