BACK

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Mount Wolseley

Tullow


Mount Wolseley

Once part of a 30,000-acre estate owned by the Butler Dynasty, Mount Wolseley, or Mount Aaron, as it was then known, came into the possession of the Wolseley family in 1725. Having been torched by insurgents during the 1798 Rebellion, the house was rebuilt in 1864.

The 200-acre property was sold to the Patrician Brothers in 1925 and was purchased by the Morrissey family in 1994, whose decision to develop a luxury hotel and championship golf course heralds a new era in the history of the property.  At Mount Wolseley, the visual delights of the setting are something to behold. Set just a few hundred yards from the meandering River Slaney, its rich population of trees and lakes are set against the backdrop of the magnificent views of Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs to the South and glimpses of the Wicklow Mountains to the East.

The first of the Wolseley family to come to Ireland was William Wolseley who hailed from Staffordshire in England and who fought alongside King William at the Battle of the Boyne. William purchased the 2,500 acre estate of Mount Arran (later renamed Mount Wolseley) from Sir Charles Butler, Earl of Arran around 1725. William died unmarried and his nephew Richard Wolseley came to Ireland to claim the estate of his uncle. Richard was M.P. for the Borough of Carlow between 1703 and 1713 and was succeeded in this position by his son, also Richard who inherited his father’s estate at Mount Wolseley and enjoyed a long tenure there.

The house was reconstructed by Sir Thomas Wolseley in 1864 and the estate was sold to the Patrician Order for £4,500 in 1925 by the daughters of Sir John Richard Wolseley. When Sir John died aged forty, he was succeeded in the title by his brother Sir Clement James Wolseley who was probably the last of the family to occupy Mount Wolseley.

In 1994 Mount Wolseley was purchased by the Morrissey family and has since been developed into a four star, quality hotel and 18-hole championship golf course with a range of activities on its doorstep offering guests plenty of things to do on their stay. When Sir Clement James Wolseley died without an heir in 1889, the baronetcy first created over 150 years earlier began to move in an ever widening circle of distant cousins. In all five successive holders of the title died without heirs and having been held by family members in various positions in the church, the army and the diplomatic service, the title devolved to its present owner in 1950, Garnet Wolseley, a cobbler from Cheshire, England who is now retired and living in Canada.

Probably the most famous of all the Wolseley’s was Frederick York Wolseley, who along with Herbert Austin created the world’s first mechanical sheep shears and in 1895 started production of one of Britain’s most famous car marques – the Wolseley – whose name dominated the British motor industry for 8 decades until 1975, when the last car bearing the famous Wolseley marque was produced.

Source: http://www.mountwolseley.ie/welcome-1.html


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose  of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

Top