INDEX

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Market Cross.

Carlow


Market Cross is the cross roads where Dublin Street, Tullow Street, Burrin Street and Castle Street meet.

Market Cross got its name form the large market that used to be held there every day, all classes of goods such as butchers, fishmongers, locksmiths, drapers etc., could be purchased from dealers who set up their stalls along the street. It is thought that this market replaced the famous market that used to be held at the "Carlow Wall" in a laneway that extended from beside the Little Owl public house down to the Haymarket.


Market Cross was also known as Duggans the Cross c.1963 at the junction of Dublin Street, Burrin Street and Tullow Street (on the right). E. J. Nolan the Chemist and the car looks like an Austin 1100 and the car coming out of Tullow Street is a Renault 4.

E.J. Nolan, 1 Dublin St., Carlow.

The Arcade was on the corner of Dublin Street (to the left) and Tullow Street (to the right)

Market Cross / Castle Street and Governey's Boot shop on the left.

Market Cross looking down Castle St, which leads to Castle Hill. Carlow c.1950


   NEXT  SHAMROCK   
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved 

TOP