St. Brigid Church. Clongegal. Co. Carlow.
Built in 1824 by Hickeys,
Kilcarry. Style: Barn–type.
- The ancient parish was Barragh and
- The church of Barragh was destroyed
by Cromwell’s soldiers in 1650. A Patron day took place here
until 1798. The holy well known as Cranevane was restored
for Jubilee 2000. The word Moyacomb is from the Irish
Magh-da-Chon meaning the plain of the two hounds. It is the
ancestral patrimony of the O’ Neill’s of Leinster.
- The village of Clonegal on the river
Derry was near where the coach roads from the midlands,
Kildare and Dublin converged. It is often asked why the
church is so big (Barn Type) and the reason is that it was
constructed around the previous thatched chapel then in use.
- When the church was completed the
old building was taken out through the doors of the new
church. This old church had in turn replaced another
thatched church which had been situated about a mile up the
road to Monaughrim in a place called Knockafaugh (the long
hill) the stone for the church came from a quarry in
Monaughrim. The ceiling has beautiful work done by Italian
artisans. The bell tower is pointed with four miniature
spires. The most important feature of the Sanctuary area is
the paired Corinthian columns, flanked by pilaster and
surmounted by an open pediment.
Source of text:
Extracts from the Vestry-Book of
the Parish of Moyacomb, otherwise Clonegal, in the Counties Carlow,
Wexford, and Wicklow.
By the Rev. JAMES F. M. FFRENCH, Rector.
On the 4th of April, 1768, I find an entry of "the late
"The clerks fees. pounds £8 0s 0d
- Expended by Mr. Pasley £1 3s 5½d
- Annual expenses £1. 14s 0d
- Mr. Archers bill £5 0s 0d
- pounds £15 17s 5½d
- This balance handed over £8 2s 6½d
- pounds £24 0s 0d
- Subscriptions towards recasting the Bell...
- Mr. Wm. Paine, Dublin pounds £0 11s 4½d”
And the following gentlemen signed the vestry-book:--
- Champion Brady (clerk.),
- Christopher Ussher and Jonathan Pasley (churchwardens),
- Joseph Cuffe,
- Jonas Pasley,
- Charles Ffrizell,
- John James,
- Wm. Paine,
- Thos. Brown,
- Robert Brown,
- Benj. James.
Note.--CHRISTOPHER USSHER, Esq., of Lower Kilcarry, Captain R.N.
(lieutenant, 1757; captain, 1761).--The family of Ussher claim to be
a branch of the great Anglo-Saxon family of Neville, notable for
baying among its members the Earl of Warwick, called the King-Maker,
and a queen consort of England. Tradition says they took their name
from the office of Usher held by a member of the family in the Court
of Prince John, Lord of Ireland. They retain to the present day as
their motto the old punning motto of the Nevilles, "Ne vile velis."
This family can show an unbroken descent from Arland Ussher, who
was Bailiff or High Sheriff of Dublin, 1460, and Mayor in 1469.
his wife, Anne Berford, or Beresford, he had two sons - John (from
whom descended Henry Ussher, Lord Archbishop of Armagh, one of the
founders of Trinity College, Dublin; and James Ussher, Lord
Archbishop of Armagh, the celebrated scholar and divine), also
Robert Ussher, Provost of T.C.D., and Lord Bishop of Kildare. Arland
Ussher's second son, Christopher, married Alsone, daughter of Thomas
Fitzwilliam, ancestor of the Viscounts Fitzwilliam; and his great
grandson, Sir William Ussher, Clerk of the Privy Council, married
Isabella, daughter of Adam Loftus, Lord Archbishop of Dublin and
Lord Chancellor of Ireland, from whom descend the Marquesses of Ely.
This Sir William Ussher's grandson--Sir William Ussher, of the
Castle of Grange, Co. Wicklow - had a grandson, Christopher Ussher,
of Mount Ussher, Co. Wicklow, who was father of John Ussher, of
Mount Ussher, High Sheriff of Co. Wicklow, 1764; M.P. for Inistiogne,
1783; also of Martha Ussher, who married Rev. R. Edgeworth, and was
mother of the celebrated Abbe Edgworth de Firmont, who attended
Louis XVI. on the scaffold ; and of Captain Christopher Ussher, of
Lower Kilcarry, in the parish of Clonegal.
This Christopher Ussher
married Margaret Bailie, and had a son, Christopher, who succeeded
to his uncle John Ussher's estates, and founded the family now
seated at Eastwell, Co. Galway; also a daughter, Elizabeth, who
married John Rowan, Esq., and succeeded to her father's property at
Kilcarry. Lower. Kilcarry House is still to be seen at the junction
of the rivers Derry and Slaney.
Source: Terry Curran